2015 5-weight Reel Shootout

Agreed, kray. I think the vast majority of the reel (and to a lesser extent rod) opinions among anglers comes from their deeply subjective personal experience.

For example, all else equal (and I mean ALL else), Lamson is at a disadvantage for me, personally, because after buying a Litespeed a few years back, I found it had a bad bearing. Contacted Lamson for a replacement and it was bad too, right from the beginning. Then they sent me 3 more, and 1 of those 3 was bad too. Luckily, of the two good ones, one has been absolutely trouble free ever since. That being said, the customer service was top notch, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat worried about that bearing every time I have the reel out.

On the note of sealed drags, I'm kind of leaning toward the opinion that a "sealed drag" is a misnomer, since it's pretty much impossible to maintain a true seal between two surfaces where one must move while the other remains stationary. At that point, it's simply down to degrees of impermeability. I've read plenty of accounts from saltwater anglers about their Lamsons (and other reels, but I suppose I'm picking on them a bit due to their getting top marks for a sealed drag in this review) allowing their fair share of brine to get into the inner workings of the drag, and leaving dirt and salt under the seal, requiring a bit of maintenance to clean them out. In fact some of the guys on salt boards even prefer the explicitly *not* sealed drag designs because, in their opinion, any "sealed" drag just makes it harder to get OUT whatever the seal will inevitably let in.

I think my own opinion resides somewhere between that and "they claim it's fully sealed, so I never have to worry about it"...I just try to keep my reels out of the drink as much as possible and keep them reasonably clean, with a good rinse in purified tap water if they happen to get really grungy on any given outing. That MO has served me well thus far, with the bearing issue being the only thing that's ever given me occasion to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Kray - i hear you, but fly fishing is an aesthetic thing gear wise for me. rods reels n nets have to be pretty. flies - the uglier the better though...

Thats interesting to know that Hatch are USA made, i wonder why they don't have MADE IN USA on the Reels or Website ? for me that swings it.

however.....i might also spring for this :

410_DC_Series.jpg

isn't she a cutie - a Vosseler DC2 - $256 for German made. (just look at the knob detail)

A shame they weren't in the test ;-)

Cheers

Mark.

Cold wrote:

In fact some of the guys on salt boards even prefer the explicitly *not* sealed drag designs because, in their opinion, any "sealed" drag just makes it harder to get OUT whatever the seal will inevitably let in.

on Cape Cod that is 100% true, guys there won't use em, as they lock up eventually.

for saltwater you do NOT want a sealed drag even if its a Jack Charlton etc.

Kray - i hear you, but fly fishing is an aesthetic thing gear wise for me. rods reels n nets have to be pretty. flies - the uglier the better though...

Thats interesting to know that Hatch are USA made, i wonder why they don't have MADE IN USA on the Reels or Website ? for me that swings it.

however.....i might also spring for this :

Resized Image

isn't she a cutie - a Vosseler DC2 - $256 for German made. (just look at the knob detail)

A shame they weren't in the test

Cheers

Mark.
Funny you post that Vosseler. I just bought a DC2 5/6 with an extra reel for my new glass rod and will pick it up on saturday. Beautiful reel with german engineering.

Sandfly-

I'm with you on the clickers, even on steelhead and salmon

Geebee-

Made in USA is printed on the drag knob of Hatch reels

Don't know how to post pics, but here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hatch-Finatic-4-Plus-Black-Large-Arbor-4-6wt-Fly-Fishing-Reel-/221664531234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339c3c5322

moon1284 wrote:
Sandfly-

I'm with you on the clickers, even on steelhead and salmon

Geebee-

Made in USA is printed on the drag knob of Hatch reels

Don't know how to post pics, but here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hatch-Finatic-4-Plus-Black-Large-Arbor-4-6wt-Fly-Fishing-Reel-/221664531234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339c3c5322

Thanks - good to know. I may look at Hatch for future #t purchases.

as to clicks - all my reels have them - and drags - Orvis LA Battenkill (you should of heard what a bonefish did to that clicker - think hedgetrimmer ;-) ) Loop Evotec CLW 8-12's, SA 2 -9/10 and Hardy Featherweights.

for me, a click is part of the aesthetic - as important as birdsong or the sound of the water.

it also gives you a slight edge in playing large fish - you hear the rod go over a fraction of a second before you feel it in the rod handle. vital imho for male salmon and Stripers who bull dog you.

cheers

Mark.

for me, a click is part of the aesthetic - as important as birdsong or the sound of the water.

I think it's interesting how so many fly fisherman feel this way...for me it's somewhat the opposite: I prefer a drag to be silent, or at least extremely quiet, and mechanical, not 'clicky', because for me the click takes away from the sounds I enjoy while I'm out.

In fact, the totally silent drag on my Loop reels is one of my favorite features, and I've purposely removed the unnecessary clickers on any reel where it was feasible.

I can understand the benefit to an audible clicker for fish known to make long, blistering runs into the backing, but for the fishing I do, I don't need that.

Last year I got a silver Orvis Access Mid-Arbor. I love that reel. I don't like it in black b/c it's too glossy but they came out with one in gun metal that looks nice. If I had to buy another reel it would be the Mid-Arbor.

3R46LSB_lg.jpg

Geebee i have a hatch and it's bullet proof. A little heavy but I can deal with that. It's the only 5 wt reel i will ever need.

RC,

I got an Orvis Mid-Arbor before they made it part of the Access lineup, and it has served me well for a long while now, even seeing a bit of light duty in the salt.

A word of advice: if you're fishing in icy conditions, keep the thing dry, or have a backup reel option. That drag seems more vulnerable than most to freezing up and either locking up completely or free spooling...and it doesn't get back to normal until it thaws. There was more than a few winter trips I had to cut short due to that.

Outside of freezing conditions, though, no complaints whatsoever.

my purchase options have been further confused by this :

REEHARDUCFLY1_1420717208.jpg

the new Hardy Duchess - Made in England.....

not cheap - $450 and i'm not sure about the knob being on the bottom, but it is a Hardy, very pretty and should last forever.

not on sale in the US though :-(

decisions, decisions, decisions....

I haven't seen the Hardy in person but I've seen it online and it definitely looks badass.

Back