2014 5-weight Shootout: Fly Rod Review and Test

tridentfly

tridentfly

IMG-05-10-2014-1119_zps43089f93.jpg

Following the success of our 8-weight reel challenge, we wanted to take on a different aspect of the industry – this time one that has had a lot written about it – fly rods. Magazines, fly shops, bloggers… virtually everyone has an opinion on what, or who, makes the best fly rod. So, we decided to join the crowd. But, in typical Trident fashion, we’re going to take a different twist on the traditional fly rod review. As always, this shootout will be completely data driven, and we’re going to give you better and more objective results than you’ve seen anywhere else.

Know more...http://bit.ly/1oiwdPx

By not including a gimmicky "Gotta have it" sort of category you have supplanted the other version of this I see yearly as the preferred reading guide.

Except you forgot the Orvis Superfine. ;)

Nice to see the Orvis Clearwater got a decent review. I almost bought one this year but then I decided to start tying and, well maybe next year I'll have an open to buy.

Strangely enough, I very recently acquired a brand new Helios 2, 5-weight tip flex using the exact same GPX line setup in the test. Great to see that I'm not just too new to find flaws with it because it's quickly taking over a lot of my middle weight rod time. Definitely a fantastic rod and worthy of top honors.

Back