2013 JAM stories

by shakey on 2013/5/20 21:36:41

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Pics HERE

Pontus's big fish and grin, gotta work on the pose....

i HATE that kid ,haha!

Shakey, you're alright man.

dc410 wrote:
I stopped on the way to the Jam on Friday at one of my favorite brookie streams that I didn't get a chance to fish this year. Had about a 40 minute, kick butt, fish catching good time. Only took the time to fish the absolute best holes. Kinda primed the pump for the weekend. Fished Friday evening with John (JF) at the Little J and and we had a good evening fishing the sulphur hatch. I caught my best fish of the weekend on the Little J that evening. Thanks John. I spent the majority of the weekend fishing the Little J, Penns and Spring with Jack (lv2nymph) and Brian (mario66pens). Jack is a good nymph fisherman and I learned a lot from him, when he says " I think I would add another split shot or move your indicator up about 7 inches" he is not kidding. The devil is definitely in the details when it comes to nymphing. Jack totally set me up for a nice brownie on Spring Creek on Sunday. Brian is a good kid and a darn good flyfisherman IMO (even though he is a Penguins fan .... (just kidding, Brian I couldn't pass up the opportunity, lol). Thanks to both Jack and Brian for a great couple days of fishing. I had the chance to catch a decent wild brown on the Little J, Penns and Spring Creek this weekend and I learned an awful lot while doing it with some great fishing buddies. The brown on Penns was my first trout ever caught on Penns Creek and I got him Saturday evening during a March Brown spinnerfall on top. Pretty cool! I attached a few pictures from the weekend.

(1) Brookie from one of my favorite brookie streams

(2)Little Juniata brownie taken during sulphur hatch on Friday

(3)Little Juniata sulphur dun in the process of emerging from its nymphal shuck
The entire weekend rocked, almost too many stories to tell. That day on spring was really cool, those fish that day were very acrobatic almost every fish hooked came out of the water multiple times. It was fun putting our heads together figuring out what those brownies wanted that day. Gotta do it again.

Wanted to thank Ryan at Risen fly for a great deal on the backing, line, and reel. You are the man Ryan, thanks again. My first reel purchase in the middle of the mountains. :-D

wouldn't you want to be a fly in the box for this conversation?!

Attachments

• fly in the box.jpg
    fly in the box.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 6
Like everyone else I had a great time at the Jam. Weather, water levels, bugs, and willing fish cooperated. Plus the best part is hanging out with old and new friends. And like every year, I continue to learn new ideas and tactics from a quite diverse group of PAFFers.

Here’s a few of the pics I took this weekend. A small side channel on the Little J which had about 10 trout rising in the area you can see, but I only missed them or put them down. A couple pics of a sulphur from Penns. Three pics of Penns trout with three different spot patterns. And a few pics from Sat night.

Just a great weekend all around.

John

Attachments

• Little J Side Channel.JPG
    Little J Side Channel.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 6
  • Sulphur1.JPG
    Sulphur1.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 4
  • Sulphur2.JPG
    Sulphur2.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Trout1.JPG
    Trout1.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Trout2.JPG
    Trout2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Trout3.JPG
    Trout3.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Jam1.JPG
    Jam1.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Jam2.JPG
    Jam2.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Jam3.JPG
    Jam3.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Jam4.JPG
    Jam4.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 7
pat,
You are correct; I checked and I mislabeled titles of my pics from Penns that day and so uploaded what i thought was sulphurs.....
John

cLEARLY gREY fOX.

Thanks for the kind words dc410, (flyers still suck.) We didn't even have to resort to Hank Patterson tactics.

LMAO!!! I had totally forgot about our little Hank Patterson hatch simulator discussion previous to the March Brown spinnerfall Saturday night on Penns. Good times indeed.

and..... as much as I really don't like the Penguins they do seem to be very effectively kicking Ottawa's a$$ tonight as I am typing this post.

Ha ha we were all gonna start waving march brown patterns at the same time cause we got tired of waiting for them! :lol: Good times. All we needed was a lawn chair and a beer!

Back