12" Makes A Huge Difference

csoult

csoult

I got a new rod for small stream fishing. I probably do about 60% of my fishing on smaller streams. I didn't want to overspend but I didn't want crap either. Well I did my home work to get the best bang for my buck, I ended up with a 7-6" 3wt Cabela's Three Forks Rod. Matched it up with a 3wt SA reel that I got in the swap forum. It worked out perfect. Both items are great! So, today was the first day out with the rod and reel combo, I didn't really notice how much of a difference a foot made but about half way through it it me. I hadn't spent near the same time in the bushes and trees. I really think I'm going to like this rod.

Anyway, I went to a completely underrated stream in my area, and wow what a great few hours. I hooked up with 10 and landed 7. It was a great day.
6813931027_8bc7777a2e.jpg

More about this trip on my blog later.

I got a laugh out of the title of this post lol. Anyhow great pic of the brookie.

Beautiful brookie,sounds like you had a great time. I love small streams as well.Last year my boss gave us gift cards for bass pro and I grabbed a 5'-8"White river classic 4 wt. ( got the 4 to have a little more backbone for bow and arrow cast ). Got a battenkill BBS I reel. If you have never fished a rod that small on the streams you can jump across I recomend you give one a go, they are sweet. And talk about getting in tight.Anywho, congratulations on a great day. That pic could make a great avatar for someone who caught it... :roll:

Very nice pic. What kinda camera was that taken on?

nice pic csoult. i fish a 6'6" rod sometimes and every once in awhile I wish I had a 7' or 7'6"

hooked up with ten and landed seven? I cant even remember what thats like.

I like small stream fishing very much. It's a lot of fun to drift a#16 dry down a chute and watch a four -six inch brookie come out from nowhere for it. Built a 7' 3 wt from a St. Croix IM6 blank that I overline with a 4 wt for roll casting in tight spots. It's a really sweet little rod.
Coughlin

wildtrout2 wrote:
That is a great pic. Needs rotating.
You're right, I did for my blog but it's not done yet. Took the pic with my I-phone.

I probably fish many of the same streams as you....just got an orvis clearwater II 7'6" 3wt for christmas and noticed an instant difference from my 9' 5wt recently caught my personal best native of 10.5" in a local stream on it.

Nice photo. Hope you don't mind.

Attachments

• csoult.JPG
    csoult.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 2
Not at all. For some reason my blog address is not showing up in my signature but it's done if anyone is interested.
www.theavocations.blogspot.com

Sweet fish Coty. Glad you had a nice day out.

Seven for ten and a nice brookie,sounds like a perfect day to me. GG

That's the way to break in a new set-up; great job.
John

real nice fish!
p.s.
"THATS WHAT SHE SAID"

Nothing special about this fish except that it was the first fish on a dry for the year. Caught 2 in the same pool on a GN during a midge hatch yesterday. It's been a while since I've fished with a dry, man do I love dry fly fishing.
6823871023_50e9e77c4d.jpg

Great pic!

The title of this post is begging for a "That's what she said" comment. So, allow me...

Just noticed flytyingfred beat me to the punch. Well played, sir.

Back