Fly line tool?

skiltonian

skiltonian

I used to have a nail knot tool that came with a needle to thread the leader into the fly line and then tie my nail knot - made for a nice, smoth transition from fly line to leader. Well, I broke mine using it for something else and lately have just used a regular needle which doesn't work as well. Any ideas on another way to do this or know where to get a new tool?

Just make a loop with a short piece of braided line to pull the tag back thru. It works well for me.

use a wd40 straw ,(red one ) works good , sure u gota have one laying arround

make it a two day job-big needle -let it sit overnite-cut leader on sharp angle to have a point-bingo

Bic pen with the tip and ink removed. Just the tube.

i found one:

http://www.theflyhatch.com/xq/ASP.detail3/SID.PAMNDHHBNHMLOBPJ/dept.AT/prodInfo.htm

Use a needle.... the type for inflating basketballs and such.

Cant you just tie a regular nail knot on the end?

here's what I like to have for a fly line to leader connection. the tool allows you to thread the leader through the fly line and then tie your knot

Attachments

• need6.jpg
    need6.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 3
afishinado wrote:
Just make a loop with a short piece of braided line to pull the tag back thru. It works well for me.

I do this too. But I use it with a loop in the line - to fix the fused loop that new lines come with when it frays or gets worn. Just cut the frayed loop off, double the line back about 3/4 inch and wrap it with 6-8 winds of 4 lb test mono as if you were wrapping a guide on a rod, finishing it by using a loop of mono you wrap over to pull the tag back thru. Treat the doubled-back line loop as if it was a rod you are wrapping a guide onto, pull the tag back under it and then trim both the wrap and line tags.

s7_316067_imageset_01

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0011257316067a.shtml

I can do it with a piece of coffee stirrer (the red straw kind), but this thing is effortless, and provides a handy clippers and needle to poke out glued up fly eyes all in one.

I use a Tie-Fast tool very quick and no aggravation.

http://sierrastreamflyshop.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=4&zenid=040c81f78485a188b6a32bf1300dc793

Trust me, look for the video on the site.

IT DOES NOT GET ANY EASIER THAN THIS!!!!

Even better, I found it for you.

Wally world carries a nail knot tool that's were I got mine. I was looking for it the other nite but I must have misplaced it......again

I like your signature. Very enlightening.

hands down the best tool out there for tying nail knots. They are like 5 bucks at walmart

skiltonian,what you like to use is a needle knot, everyone else is talking about a nail knot. two different knots. needle knot has leader going through the fly line, nail knot has leader next to fly line. both are good, all personal preference.

jakes, i`m glad you posted that clip , i never knew you could connect to pieces of leader using it,....guees i should have kept and read my instructions...lol

bikerfish wrote:
skiltonian,what you like to use is a needle knot, everyone else is talking about a nail knot. two different knots. needle knot has leader going through the fly line, nail knot has leader next to fly line. both are good, all personal preference.

Exactly. No tool is necessary to tie a nail knot. This video shows both knots.

Back