Re: returning Atlantics to the Salmon River, NY

"The Oak"....

Is that a thing now?

Posted on: 2013/9/13 7:37

From LV
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I propose a fish ladder over Niagara Falls, so that we can get these things in Erie!

:)

Their land locked cousin were in Erie. In that lake they would have been huge.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 17:56

From LV
Quote:

geebee wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Eat the brown and steelhead, release the Atlantic. .

no need to eat the browns bud. they forage in different areas to the Salmon - browns stay in 30ft-60ft of water just offshore whereas the Salmon go far out and very deep, they also spawn in different water.

salmon and trout (sea trout) co-exist all over the upper northern and southern hemispheres, big ones.

i'm not sure if an atlantic run would be truly sustainable alongside steelhead though ?

Yes they do where they co-evolved, I wouldn't think it is necessarily the same if they're both stocked. I've never heaof them hybridizing though.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 17:58

From Philadelphia PA
Was up at Pulaski NY(in town) fishing on Friday, Sept 06. Salmon and Steels were running nicely. Watched one gent with a nice steely...man can they jump clear out of the water and with some great heights. Not just a couple of times did that fish launch itself above 10 feet. The Salmon did come up out of the water but not with the same height.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 9:47
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

I love the way Atlantics jump, they jump straight up into the air and will do it plenty of times. Steelies sometimes jump the same way, Pacific salmon less so. However, fresh cohoes can go nuts sprinting all over the place and jumping all over the place, but rarely jumping straight up. A lot of it IMHO comes from the temperature. The more the temperature is near the prime temperature, the more spectacular the leaps. As you go hotter or cooler the jumps become less intense.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 13:24

From Bethlehem, PA
Was on the Salmon River 5 days thus far this Fall, 2 days were just nuts - fish everywhere, 1 day thoroughly enjoyable and steady, and 2 days were so-so. No cohos, browns or steelhead but more kings than I can count. They were incredibly acrobatic, more so than in years past. I had several that jumped 4 or 5 times before (a) I landed them or (b), and far more likely, I allowed a long line release. . I had several that cleared the water by several feet, straight up, one right next to me, an absolutely incredible sight with fish that large.

As to the restoration of the Atlantics in the SR, it would be a situation devoutly to be wished. I've caught them in Maine and Nova Scotia but quite a few years ago. The fight is like a combination of a steelhead, coho, and king rolled into one.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:30

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

JeffK wrote:
I love the way Atlantics jump, they jump straight up into the air and will do it plenty of times. .

those 'look at me' jumps are typical of females. the males tend more to dog and roll, and the big ones head upstream.

sea trout (sea run brown trout) are a hoot too - they go spastic like a steelhead. jump after jump.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:35

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com