Pennsylvania Game and Fish Magazine

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Had a co-worker give me a recent copy. One of the articles in it is "Pennsylvania's Top Trout Stream Hatches, May Hatches that Pennsylvania Trout Anglers Shouldn't Miss"

Here's the list. Have you fished them? Do you agree they shouldn't be missed, and what else would you add to the list if any.

Penns Creek Green Drakes
Loyalsock Creek Blue Quills
Valley Creek Caddis
Big Bushkill Creek Hendricksons
Oil Creek Caddis
Little Lehigh Blue-Winged Olives
Little Juniata River Sulphurs
Youghiogheny River Green Drakes and Blue-Winged Olives

Each has a small write up with information on the hatch and the stream. Nice little article.

Ryan

I've got Penns Drakes, Valley Caddis, Oil Caddis, and LJR sulfurs under my belt.

Yeah I got a list too. And PA Game and Fish is now on it.

How good is the Yough Green Drake hatch?

Valley creek being listed on any top ten hatch streams list is absolutely puzzling to me. It's not a good bug stream.

I fished a few of the rest, and prefer other streams to fish all of those hatches.

spot burners!!! hatch burners!!! the nerve of them!!!! now everyone will know there are bugs hatching in our creeks!!! what's next, telling them there are fish in them too!! if I see another person on penns this weekend I'm gonna blame the magazine article, simple as that. it's all their fault!!!
LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

jayL wrote:
Valley creek being listed on any top ten hatch streams list is absolutely puzzling to me. It's not a good bug stream.

If three caddis flies a week constitutes a hatch then they're right.

bikerfish wrote:
spot burners!!! hatch burners!!! the nerve of them!!!! now everyone will know there are bugs hatching in our creeks!!! what's next, telling them there are fish in them too!! if I see another person on penns this weekend I'm gonna blame the magazine article, simple as that. it's all their fault!!!
LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

Making fun of spot burning posts are now significantly more common than actual spot burning posts.

And they're absolutely more annoying.

Jay's non humorous post about bashing spot burning bashers makes me laugh.

I've fished 2 hatches in the list, and haven't caught a fish on those patterns either time.

I'm surprised that the white fly hatch on Yellow Breeches isn't on that list. Although I use white streamers during this hatch to catch the bigger trout when the white blizzard is on.

I've hit everyone of those hatches, just not on the creeks mentioned.

dang, now everyone is going to know about the green drakes on penns creek.

you can replace that list with the Upper D and cover them all...although it may not be wadeable til June!

hopefully I can hit the little j this year for the first time

After reading the Arway/ Marcellus nonsense I realize details and facts seem to get tossed out here, LOL, but it's not a top ten list. From what I know of those hatches its a pretty fair list. Those creeks are indeed particularly known for those hatches. Heck, if anyone has seen a LJR sulphur hatch at its best would probably agree. There are also other streams with some of there hatches in near or equal abundance for sure. But at their peak I think each one of hatches are hard to beat on those streams.

I liked the mention of the Loyalsock. I hiked that area one weekend when I was in high school wilderness club. we camped out and followed the 'sock trail to angel falls and it was beautiful but I didn't fish back then. might be worth a trip this year, even if its just for memories sake.

Definitely head up to the loyalsock. It's a beautiful stream with crystal clear water. If it had wild trout it would be without a doubt my favorite stream in the state. If you go fish any trib you come across, chances are it will hold wild/natives.

This is another case where they're trying to cover all the zones of the state, not the best hatches.
To be honest, of all the fishing rags at my work, that ones probably my least favorite.

not really for trout, but if you ever witnessed the white mayfly hatch on the Susqy river, you have seen one of the greatest, most intense insect hatches in any of our state waters.

Back