nymphing line

X

xgregx

I recently started czech nymphing and i was looking at some different nymphing lines. Particularly the cortland comp nymph line and the rio euro nymph line. I was hoping some of you have used either of them or even others and can help me make up my mind. I just want a really sensitive line so that i can feel everything with it. Thanks a lot.

I use a line from Allen and have no problem detecting takes with it. Try not to get carried away by marketing strategies. I've never fooled with the lines you mentioned but you certainly do not need a high dollar specialty line to nymph and be successful. Jmtc

I have used standard wt. forward for years, bought 2 rio nymph tip lines 2 years ago, I like them for the bright tip. but see no other difference in the lines compared to a standard line.

xgregx wrote:
I recently started czech nymphing and i was looking at some different nymphing lines. Particularly the cortland comp nymph line and the rio euro nymph line. I was hoping some of you have used either of them or even others and can help me make up my mind. I just want a really sensitive line so that i can feel everything with it. Thanks a lot.

I'm not sure if you're a comp angler, but there was a rule change disallowing the very long (30'+) mono leaders. The main theory is heavier fly line hangs and causes slack between the guides making an angler lose sensitivity so mono was used instead. To compensate, many comp anglers are using under-weight fly lines, like the ones listed above.

Anyway, the lines are not unlike running line, IMO. Simply reversing your regular fly line to fish the running line end may work just as well....ymmv, though. HTH.

I do a lot of tight line/ Czech nymphing and my favorite part about it is not having to buy a fancy line. I usually only have a short amount of line out of my rod tip so line isn't so important for me. However I frequent the TroutLegend forums and the competition guys really like those lines for using super long leaders. I believe the line is really thin and they like it because it's almost like part of a leader. Since in competition your only allowed so long of a leader, they can use that line in conjunction with a regulation leader. It's over my head but people really like them. I would check out that forum and search for a discussion on the nymphin line and you will find some great info.

I use the cortland 160g nymph line. It also comes in 140 and 120. You don't pick the line on rod weight, but instead on the weight of the flies. 160 is for heavy nymphs (I use in large water ways with fast current), 140 is for medium weighted nymphs, and 120 is for lightly weighted nymphs (think spring creeks). It is important to match these lines with nymphs of the appropriate size, if you want to maintain a good drift and contact at distance.

A 160g line will pull lightly weighted nymphs back towards you, if the nymphs and not properly weighted. For example on Penns, I use the 160g line with tungsten beaded woven flies/stoneflies/whatever heavy fly you like, and using a 10ft leader, I am able to get about 10-15 ft of fly line out of my rod and maintain constant contact and good drift. This is while using a 10ft rod. So add this up and you can tight line in any direction about 30-35 feet from where I stand.

Using the same set up with a size 16 nymph, the fly line is too heavy and pulls the fly towards me and out of a natural drift. So if I were going to buy one for say Spring Creek, I would use the 120g.

I usually use the nymphing line, when I know I won't be looking for dry action. But I bring an extra spool with a normal line, so I can actually cast properly.

The rio 'nymph tip' is not the same as their Euro nymphing line. The nymph tip was made for flopping big strike indicators over with tandem rigs. A nice line for that, but not so nice for tight lining. (Comparatively)

I bought a line because I wanted to try it and had the money and plenty of extra lines for my rods. Would I buy a 'nymph line' if I only had one spool for my reel and no other lines for a rod, NO.

You will enjoy them if you get one but they are expensive and like others said, you can get along perfectly fine without spending money on one.

I used the cortland line for the past 3 years, it a really nice line. I just got the new rio line and so far i love it, to me it cast/lobs better then the cortland and with the thinner line it seems to be alittle more sensitive and there isnt as much belly in the line as the the cortland.

Thanks for the info. Yeah as you guys said i dont like having that much belly in the line so thats one of the main reasons i was looking into these nymphing lines. I feel the tighter the line the more contact you will be able to feel. And i mainly fish penns with heavier tubgsten flies so i would probably go with the 160 grain.

Why would it ever make sense to go with heavier line vs. the lighter line? Seems to me the lighter line is fine for both light and heavy nymphs while the heavier line is good for heavy nymphs only? What am I missing here?

Makes it easier to flip over larger flies at distance. Much easier! Where as a light line will make it easier with lighter flies and more delicate presentations. Each line shines in different situations.

If I were matching with a 2wt or 3 wt, with the type of fishing I do with those rods, a 120gr or the Rio line would be better. But for my 4wt, which I flip my big stuff with, it really just 'feels' better and easier with the heavier line.

How much distance do you need if you are tight line nymphing? I just don't see any reason why "casting" should even be a consideration when selecting a line for this type of fishing. Isn't it basically just water hauling or lobbing? It's not like you need to shoot line or turn flies over.

JasonS,

Actually that is the main misconception of european nymphing, in fact the vast majority of what competitors do is direct or almost direct upstream fishing with lighter leaders and very light flies, often greasing the entire leader and floating it for increased strike detection and drift. Although you do not need to fish a 1000 feet away but fishing up to 30 feet or more is not uncommon whatsoever. Of corse there are many other techniques for different water types but it's important to understand that most of these techniques are much more that lobbing heavy flies, and yes turn over is absolutely key in a euro nymphing leader/rig.

I use a Rio Nymph and absolutely love it for the nymphing I do. I am usually casting 20-30ft upstream and I only use a 17ft leader. The Rio line allows me great sensitivity. I have also found it to cast a dry fly and dry dropper rig pretty nicely. There are two Cortland nymph lines out now that two of my friends helped design. One is better then the other in the winter. I would suggest that if you have a reel set up primarily for nymphing you try one of the three mentioned out.

I have a rio nymph line with the bright florescent tip, and it helps for dead drift nymphing but if your mostly Czech nymphing I would say the line is the least of your worries.

the right line can really help more then what people think

Back