ground hog

ihrtffishing

ihrtffishing

Well there's a ground hog in the backyard eating the garden so it needs to go. Would the fur be of any value to me for use in fly tying?

Probably for dubbing. Never used it though but I would imagine it could be used for a bunch of things.

Years ago a this was rage amongst a bunch of us down the Lil Lehigh, Lincoln Parmer used to literally pick up fresh roadkilled ground hogs{whistle pigs,grundsow ect.}if he couldn't get any to shoot at then he'd skin em out clean the hide real well sometimes he'd tan the skin then take and shear the hair off, sometimes he'd even dye the fur.
Only commercial groundhog available that i know of was offered by Fred Reese at Fred Reese Trout Shop, like all Fred's dubbing this dubbing kicked butt .I am glad i hoarded some.
if i may give a few tips make sure you wash the fur really well.Bugs like this hair and dubbing alot.after it is washed make sure as with all your natural dubbings you take special care to keep bugs out of your materials,use Cedar oil,cedar chips, and mothballs.
The guard hairs work great for caddis wings.
If you dye this make sure you use plenty of dye and constantly pull out a bit of material and check it ofr the color you want.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Hey Rick - Surely you remember "Big John" Sniczak, and his fly "The Hawger". Deadly....

Attachments

• Hawger.jpg
    Hawger.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 3
Heritage,
Of course i remember John , If I may be corrected him and Lincoln were their own circle of trust about the Hawger fro quite sometime. I remember Lincoln admirong my soft hackles and i made a deal with him i traded a few of my flies for this so called Hawger.Lmao i called it the "hairball "right to Licoln when he handed me the flies in front of everyone that was there askin to see the real " hawger".Brings back great Memories of the Lil Lehigh Regulars when things were really great there.
I miss those days.
Rick Wallace

You can always eat the ground hog-young ones pretty tasty.

Never ate grundsow, but i love squirells and rabbits ,grouse and wild turkeys,, mmm now i am gettin hungry.
Rick Wallace

Here are a couple of patterns
http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/woodchuck/

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Hey Rick - Surely you remember "Big John" Sniczak, and his fly "The Hawger". Deadly....

That's an interesting looking fly, somehwat reminiscent of the "animal". I'm guessing it could be taken for either a caddis or hopper depending on the size. It would be great to know more if you guys are willing to share.

It's in the referenced article, but Eric Leiser's Llama is a pretty good streamer. It is fairly unique in that you use the guard hair and underfur together for a different look.

Well I'm to cheap to buy a trap or hire an exterminator so this thing needs to be taken care of. I'm in an urban area so I can't get the .22 out and the bb guns trigger guard keys are missing. Any ideas on snares or something?

Ihrt,
Get a Gamo whisper pellet gun use their raptor pellets then take said grundsow to a local trapper and see if he will stretch and dry the hide for you hell maybe even tan it.
I 'd buld a hide inside the window facing where this darn critter is and sit and wait.Pops his head out put it right on the head and let her fly.
Gamo is really quiet unlike a .22.
Rick Wallace

i used to trap em at work in a live box type trap i used apples and pears just get him used to eating goodies like that then set a trap out there with one in it but i also used to get a coon every now and again which i would set free ground hogs got offed .... i wouldnt have anyproblems shooting a .22lr within city limits there was one cartridge that was super quiet they were made by eley ,competition rounds we used to use them for squirrel they arent too much louder than a mild twig snapping or if you open your window and shoot from back inside the room most of the sound will disipate inside your house (the neighbors might think you shot your wife though )

Thanks got the bb gun key so ill try with that. Ive got the overhead pellets and.the actual bbs so ill get him.

Iheart,
no bb gun this is a specialized high power pellet gun shoots between 1100-1600 ft per second.great lil quiet gun 1600 is the socom gun the whisper is a lil slower but just as deadly.
I have trapped grundsows too with a live trap..trouble is that when you get em in the cage you have to take em at least 5 miles away or dont ask me but they do find their way back. i know this because guy at work had trouble so i trapped one for him took him across the river...believe it or not he showed back up three weeks later,reason i know this i painted his tail white with spray paint.
In the words of Troy from Swamp People "schuuute em schuute em"easier then you got a ton of dubbing and some gret guard hair to make wings out of.
Rick Wallace

Little pills from the .243 do wonders on those little critters!

all i can fire are the .177 caliber bb pellets or the cops would be showing up asking why i fired a gun in an urban area, so they'll have to do

collibri ,22 CB rounds from a bolt gun are dead silent.

I use the long hairs on ground hog tails for dark colored mayfly tails - march browns and green drakes. It's easy to use and very durable

Ihrt,
Make sure if you go and Schuute that grundsow that you dont hit or hurt anyone else.be as safeas you can or try a live trap and be prepared to take it far away

Back