crystal meth fly?

D

dryflyguy

I've read and heard some talk about a hot new fly for erie steelhead called crystal meth. So I decided to tie some.
The guy who runs the fly shop where I purchased the material even told me how great this fly works.
I tied a dozen the other night on size #14 heavy scud hooks in 2 colors - pearl and orange. Being a dry fly nut, I'm never impressed with any fly that doesn't float. But I have to admit that they look pretty nice. Kinda reminds me of rock candy.
In spite of the beautiful weather we're having, I have to work this weekend, and don't know when I'll be able to get to Erie to try them.
Just wondering if anybody has used them

They are great, I've used them for a couple years now..Try them in a light blue too. :-D

Gee sandflea you sound as smart as someone else we know.

Ive used the fly but never did well with it .I guess its my dumb luck !!haha.

i've even caught trout from non-erie streams on them. i like copper colored sometimes

how about a pick. IS it anything like trout crack ??

Recipe:
Hook: 2457 TMC size 14-18
Thread: .004 mono
Body: Antron (sand for the color)
Back: UTC V-rib on spool

Crystal meth is no better or no worse than any other fly commonly used on the tribs. Fish will hit them at times they won't look at anything else, but there are times when they avoid them like the plague. I carry lots of different patterns and sizes, and I switch a lot during a days fishing. Color and pattern are important when fishing for steelhead, but in my opinion presentation is much more important. My 2 cents.

Ill go with 45 I would rather use yarn flies or buggers.

JaD

Back