tippet and leader

V

VINNYT

i have been snapping off alot and wanted to know what your favorite tippit and leader brands.thanks

I haven't had a problem with most of the usual brand names including Cabelas. The problem could be the knot on your leader to tippet connection. There are several good ones which you can find online.

Also you don't want the difference between your leader diameter and the tippet diameter to be too big.

I like Orvis superstrong tippet material. I usually build leaders from Maxima Chameleon and the Superstrong.

Tippet can start to snap off if you keep your gear in the car during the heat of the day. Or if it is out in the sun too long. That's why it's generally recommended that you replace tippet material at the start of each new season.

Mixing brands can sometimes cause breakoffs. As can mixing type, ie mono and flouro. Try a loop to loop connection if practicable.

The one brand I've had bad luck with is the Dai Riki tippet. Didn't seem to hold a knot very well. :-(

Vin

What size tippet are you using? I very rarely go below 5x, don't see the need.

PaulG

Besides the size of tippet that you using could be how hard you are setting the hook. Basically just raise the rod to take the slack out of the line especially with light tippet.

VinnyT,

Everyone has good points in the replies, especially on how old/where you store your tippet/leaders. If you leave it in the car or it's two or more years older that's more than likely your problem. I have a question though, Are you snapping your fly off when casting? You may need to slow down your backcast if you are.
JH

no i am a good caster a natural lol no but ive been out in the yard casting for 2 summers soo im pritty good at it and i also tye very good knots i always atatch the eader to the tippit with a double surgens knot i think my tippit is bad cause i have had itsit out in the sun and it been thought it all soo i will buy some new tippit. thanks

it was presision tippit the leader is good but the tippit dosent seem to hold a knot i liked frog haire but is very expensive

Vinny,
I usually put the knot in my mouth right before I yank it to tighten it. The spit lubricates the knot and eliminates friction. The friction causes heat and the heat kills the tipit. Then again I leave mine in the cargo box ontop of my Jeep all year long.....

Pig tailing is my problem.

yup i do the spit thing too must be because of the things its been through thanks for all the input guys.

Skoal mint juice + blood knot = never slip.

;-)

I like Climax tippet and orvis SS. When selecting your tippet try going one size higher than what you think you need(IE instead of 6x go 5x) you will see that you dont need light tippets all the time trout simply cant see them i very rarly go under 5x even with tricos! I have seen A fishing buddy of mine use 4 and 3X (yes 3X) when fishing small to medium flys and he smashes fish all day

its all about the drift!!!

Snapping of the tippet huh?

Could be your rod.
Especially if the tip is a fast action, meaning a little more stiff
It is my understanding that the tip of the rod can be either SLOW, MEDIUM or FAST

I am not sure but I think FAST is a stiffer rod tip
and then MEDiUM, and Slow is more like a wet noodle
Others on this post can correct me if i am wrong.
my Freind has A Thomas & Thomas with a stiff rod tip maybe more suitable for steelhead of other heavy fish
He was breaking off tippet alot on the more subtle streams of NC PA just at the time of setting the hook because the ROD itself offered no protection for the tippet

Steve 98

VINNYT, try some Orvis Mirage floro., i swear by it not at it. Mono is not mono any longer, the variations in formulas are many and in any product manufacturing , production cost is the number you always look to crunch. I have used many many brands, from around the world and i will stand with Orvis Mirage, it has a natural stretch along with great quality control and its Orvis and that says alot.

Hello to all Gentlemen in the PAFF forum. First post here as a new member.

I have tried many different tippets and IMO the best bang for your buck is Rio Powerflex. It has some of the best breaking poundage of any mono you can get. Orvis Mirage is good floro but it's about $10 a spool in contrast to $4 for mono. If I'm fishing for steelies or other large fish I'm all floro but for everyday trout/bass use it's Rio Mono all the way. Experience makes all the difference though go with what you're most comfortable with.

I've recently started using the Orvis Mirage Flouro. I like it a lot. I think it is hands down the best value in Flourocarbon.

I have tried many brands of leaders and tippet and most, excluding DaiRikki, have been fine. For the last year I have used only Orvis material. Why? It is the best value on the market. Super Strong tippet in 40 meters for 3.95 as compared to most other brands at 30 yards for 3.95. Same deal with Fluoro - 12.95/40 meters vs. 12.95/30yds. As for leaders, I was just at local shop - 9' 6x Rio mono leaders 4.95/pack(1 leader, some pack) Orvis Super Strong leaders 4.95/pack(2 leaders). With tippet you get approx 30% more for the same price, leaders are twice the value.

thanks guys i gess orvis it is there pricey but great quality.

Back