Timbers - 2018-2019 Thread

Swattie87

Swattie87

2017 was my first year without seeing one since 2011, but I got on the board early this year with a sighting today. Black Phase, approximately 36". Crossing a state forest road in Mifflin Co. While I think this is the most common way they are seen (humans are more often near roads than in the woods), this is the first time I have seen one still alive crossing a road. Made sure he made it into the brush along the road, then continued my walk back to my vehicle.

I don't hunt rattlers, or spend any specific time devoted to finding them, but I do think it adds to the day's adventure fishing to see one.

Attachments

• 05-24-18 (15) - PAFF.jpg
    05-24-18 (15) - PAFF.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 05-24-18 (16) - PAFF.jpg
    05-24-18 (16) - PAFF.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 05-24-18 (17) - PAFF.jpg
    05-24-18 (17) - PAFF.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 4
Pennsylvania is actually the last great stronghold for the Timber Rattler. Please don't kill them and I'm glad that you didn't. Mifflin County and surrounding counties are filthy with them..I can tell you for sure.

Beautiful snake, btw. I run in to them white frequently backpacking. A very gentle and docile poisonous snake..

not allowed to kill them, protected species. always very cool to see, from a distance!!

Neat!

I believe it is legal to kill one per year (outside Michaux State Forest) with a fishing license and a minimum size(?).

Whatever the case, I love timbers and other reptiles and am happy that there are so many advocates now for their protection. Seeing a rattlesnake is part of the tradition of mountain fly fishing in PA.

When I was much younger - lets say late 70s and 80s - it was still common to bump into old time outdoorsmen in PA who often spoke of the "snakes" they'd recently killed or that carried a firearm primarly for shooting whatever snakes they encountered.
Thankfully, attitudes have changed (mostly).

Anyone see one during the Jam?

It's something of PAFF tradition that at least someone has a timber encounter during the Jam...often around Cherry Run.

For someone from Ohio who has not yet encountered a rattler, will waders protect from a bite or does someone need additional protection?

Thanks.

Truly a beautiful animal that is much maligned and misunderstood. That said, I am not a fan of copperheads.

allthingsfishing wrote:
For someone from Ohio who has not yet encountered a rattler, will waders protect from a bite or does someone need additional protection?

Thanks.

Waders themselves, no. The fangs will easily penetrate the wader material. I mean, if they're baggy enough as many wader cuts are, it may by chance hit an air pocket and not actually your leg, but not worth the risk IMO.

Many, including me, wear snake gaiters to the knee when fishing forested streams in Rattler habitat. You often can't fully see where you're putting your feet in the undergrowth, and that's the risk these will protect against. If you can see the snake in advance, and don't mess with it, there is a 0% chance of being bit.

I had mine on yesterday FWIW. I have the soft wrap-around kind. They're flexible and comfortable, and provide an extra layer of protection for your waders against sticks and thorns and the like too. They run about $50-$60. Mine are about 7 or 8 years old and are holding up well. This is what I have:

Gaiters

Speaking of snakes, as I walked down to the stream this evening I noticed a dead fish at the edge of the stream, about a 8 inch wild brown. Thought this was odd because I never saw a dead fish along this stream before. As I got closer the fish slowly started to move into the water, it was then I realized the fish was being dragged away by a large snake.

Not a timber but saw lots of monarch butterflies last 2 days. Friday in Gallitzin and yesterday in Rothrock State forests.

Thought I saw a snake but was going a bit too fast as I made a 10 mile wrong turn and had to backtrack quickly as I didn’t want to be late for the sulpher hatch that barely occurred.

laszlo wrote:
Speaking of snakes, as I walked down to the stream this evening I noticed a dead fish at the edge of the stream, about a 8 inch wild brown. Thought this was odd because I never saw a dead fish along this stream before. As I got closer the fish slowly started to move into the water, it was then I realized the fish was being dragged away by a large snake.

I once saw a rather large timber rattler in the middle of my favorite brookie stream. He was happily ingesting a 10" or so stocked rainbow trout. I'm guessing someone caught the trout, it died, and the snake happened upon an easy meal. Or maybe that rattle caught the fish.

Dave_W wrote:
Neat!

I believe it is legal to kill one per year (outside Michaux State Forest) with a fishing license and a minimum size(?).

Whatever the case, I love timbers and other reptiles and am happy that there are so many advocates now for their protection. Seeing a rattlesnake is part of the tradition of mountain fly fishing in PA.

When I was much younger - lets say late 70s and 80s - it was still common to bump into old time outdoorsmen in PA who often spoke of the "snakes" they'd recently killed or that carried a firearm primarly for shooting whatever snakes they encountered.
Thankfully, attitudes have changed (mostly).

I don't think attitudes have changed. I know many people who think the only good snake is a dead snake. Wait a few, some of them will post on here :)

I used to be of the aforementioned mindset. It was ignorance. Working in rattlesnake country made me realize how docile and forgiving these snakes are. I'd much rather encounter a timber or black snake over any other.

On the snake chaps, the ones I used I would not wear over waders. They had wire mesh inside the heavy canvas which would break and poke through the inside.

Can anyone recommend specific locations with a high chance of seeing rattlers? My nephew is into snakes right now and wants to see one. we drove a bunch of state forest roads this weekend and saw many black snakes and one huge garter but no rattlers. we won't mess with them, just want to see one. preferably along a road from safetey of car

They’re not that common that you can drive around and expect to see one. It’s just that humans spend way more time on roads than in the woods normally, hence why many sightings are along roads.

Most of my sightings are on exposed gravel bars near streams. Not that that’s the most likely place either, it’s just most of my time in the woods is spent fishing, so I’m near a stream a lot.

If you want to look specifically for them I’d look for exposed rock on south facing slopes in north central PA. The higher up the ridge, the better. That’s typically their prime habitat and range in PA.

Best chance to see one is not going to be from a road, but if you spend enough time around pine Creek and kettle creek you will find some before too long. Most people that know den locations will not give up the location for fear of disturbance. Ones that I have moved off roads, I would not consider to be areas with high snake populations it was more or less by chance.

salmonoid wrote:

I don't think attitudes have changed. I know many people who think the only good snake is a dead snake. Wait a few, some of them will post on here :)

I agree.

I know several people who will try to kill every snake they see. Most of them live in the city or the burbs, or at lease used to.

Urban sprawl sucks.

There are advantages of living a few miles beyond BFE.

Last year I saw more snakes on the farm than ever. All harmless of course.

Wear them over your waders? I guess a belt around your waist holds a strap. Gonna look into it..

I just saw a Timber in black phase along the road entering Bald Eagle State Park. Was just sunning itself right before the turn off to the swimming area.

Back