Should I begin checking water temps?

TJ_PSU

TJ_PSU

After a discussion with a fellow angler, it seems as though I may have been forgetting an important part of my fly fishing due diligence: checking water temps. I never did this before and since I plan on getting out more this winter, I think it will be important. Some online articles say ideal water temps for trout fishing is 45-60. I assume this goes for any location, freestone, limestone water, etc?

TJ

TJ_PSU wrote:
After a discussion with a fellow angler, it seems as though I may have been forgetting an important part of my fly fishing due diligence: checking water temps. I never did this before and since I plan on getting out more this winter, I think it will be important. Some online articles say ideal water temps for trout fishing is 45-60. I assume this goes for any location, freestone, limestone water, etc?

TJ

Winter trout fishing is great, and keeping an eye on water temps is always a good idea. In the winter, freestone streams may dip down into the low 30's, not ideal for active fish, but you can catch trout in this frigid water.

Trout tend to be active when the water temps rise even a few degrees during the day. Usually the best time to fish is in the late afternoon, when water temps peak. With that being said, if the stream is covered with or has snow or ice along its banks, a rise in air temps above freezing can actually can lower water temps by melting into the water; so be aware of that when fishing.

Limestone streams tend to stay warmer and you may opt to fish a limestoner in the winter. We are lucky in PA, we have plenty to choose from in our state.

In general, you will find most success fishing in slower and deeper water during wintertime. Probing the depths slowly with weighted nymphs or adding shot is often a good fishing strategy. You may run into a hatch of midges, BWOs, or winter stoneflies on top, but most times it's fishing low and slow in the winter. Another strategy is slowly drifting, swinging and stripping streamers to cover water and maybe locate fish.

Check out the current blog on the home page for more tips on when, where and how to fish.

Good luck!

It's definitely a good habit to get into. It can contribute to identifying hatches, where fish may be holding, etc over time as you'll begin to notice patterns - when it's blah blah temp I tend to see more of this bug or the fish tend to be deeper or shallower.

If you fish trout in the summer, definitely take temps if fishing a stream that gets over to or near 70 degrees. Thermal stress is a big issue then for the survival of the fish. It's best to leave them alone then. I always take a temp in the summer to make sure I'm not being unethical, even on streams that I know stay well below thermal stress temps for the peace of mind.

So I guess during summer it is more of an ethics concern for me and other than that it is just getting more nerdy and keeping closer track of conditions.

I fish all winter and catch trout doesn't matter what the temps are they feed.

For summer and warm weather it is very important. In winter I honestly think not so much. Winter trout are predictable and easy without the fear of temps being too warm. Fishing for most everything is "better" in cold weather.

Not to say troutbert is wrong but don't neglect streamers in raging riffles. Lots of trout there in winter.

Fish do experience thermal stress in winter from low temps, but there is a slight compensation in that dissolved oxygen is more prevalent then than in hot temperatures.

jifigz wrote:
Not to say troutbert is wrong but don't neglect streamers in raging riffles. Lots of trout there in winter.

What post of mine are you responding to?

Definitely get in the habit of checking temps; I was oblivious to them for the first ten years I avidly trout fished, but now can correlate some of those past poor outings to water temp issues. Being able to assess that variable is a key to increasing your chance of catching fish (or knowing when the fish that are there simply won't be caught). There's much to do made about thermal stress of fish, and when the water gets warmer, the temp will tell you 1) when the water is marginal and you fighting a fish might put it into a death spiral, or 2) when the water is too warm and you're wasting your time even wetting a line there, because the fish are in such a survival mode, you won't catch them, so best to look for cooler water.

Winter is a great time to fish - look for upward trends of water temps, beware of snow melt that might make the water temp run counter to an increase in air temp. I fished Thanksgiving morning, with a starting air temp of 26 (first ice in the guides for me) and a water temp of 36-37. Fishing was slow, but that had probably as much to do with the stream being fished the day before, and there being barely enough gin clear water in the stream for the fish to hold in. Caught a couple, missed a couple, and spooked a few more. Just slow things down in the cooler water temps. Fishing in winter is fun; catching fish is bonus.

troutbert wrote:
jifigz wrote:

You got called out while not posting.........you win today sir.

TJ_PSU,

I have this book by Jay Ford Thurston who kept meticulous records and determined the temperature when fishing was best. Here is a link to an excerpt of that book that will help you greatly.

http://www.trouttip.com/trout-tips

jifigz wrote:

Fishing for most everything is "better" in cold weather.

I strongly agree with this. My best "warmwater" species fishing this past year came recently in the first half of November once the water dipped below 60 degrees. Walleyes, jumbo crappies, yellow perch, largemouths, and loads of schoolie stripers were all destroying flies earlier this month. The one exception I'd say is Smallmouths.

Made it easy to ignore trout during spawning season.

As for trout, I agree with those who say it is mainly a warm season concern. I've had some pretty good days fishing snowmelt runoff with slow drifted streamers and I'm not convinced it shuts things down.

I gotta admit, At first I thought this post was a joke to mock the insane banter had here over the summer and the fact that there was someone saying that once water temps got to like 60 we should stop fishing for trout. I'm almost disappointed that it's a serious question haha.

On topic......it's a great idea to check the water temp every time you fish regardless of the time of year. Not only can it tell you if you SHOULD be fishing in the summer but it can also help you set your expectations on fish activity in the winter months.

sarce wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Fishing for most everything is "better" in cold weather.

I strongly agree with this. My best "warmwater" species fishing this past year came recently in the first half of November once the water dipped below 60 degrees. Walleyes, jumbo crappies, yellow perch, largemouths, and loads of schoolie stripers were all destroying flies earlier this month. The one exception I'd say is Smallmouths.

Made it easy to ignore trout during spawning season.

Sarce, Smallmouths are no exception. The best time to bust huge bronzebacks is winter. I used to fish the Juniata a lot in winter from a very nice jet boat, the number of huge smallmouths we pulled out would blow your mind.

troutbert wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Apparently none. Lol. Not sure how that happened.

jifigz wrote:
troutbert wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Apparently none. Lol. Not sure how that happened.

No worries.

I was just curious. And wondering if my memory was failing.

While it is common during the summer to check water temps in trout streams, most anglers during the cold weather months don't even consider it. However streams get pretty cold, even limestone streams get into the 30's, so it's always a good idea to check the temperature.
It is even more so if there is snow on the ground because melting snow always effect water temperatures.

One time I had a trip planned on the Harvey water on Spruce in January. Thought it would be fine since it was a limestoner...got there and it was 3/4 frozen solid. Oops.

Back