Float tube fishing

ryanh

ryanh

I did a search under float tube on here first and nothing came up. I used to love this kind of fishing out west , but am not a fan in PA. Any hard core float tubers on here? Any tips? There is just so much more aquatic vegetation in the lakes I have done it in its kind f turned me off.

Not something I've done in PA but fished from float tubes a lot in Idaho. I'm looking to get back into it again. I'm in Wilmington, DE so I'm thinking some floats on the Brandywine and some ponds/lakes nearby.

I've posted on here before about this.

I live in Chester Co - the nearest trout spot to tube is Scotts Run Lake. otherwise its a long haul - Beltzville.

I'm not comfy with drifting the brandywine in a tube really.

I did think about Lums pond in DE though - that's looks okay for tubing for bass if there's not too much weed, and not to large like Marsh Creek or Struble.

GRP hit me up if you want to hit a DE pond one night or weekend morning.

we are severely short of trout lakes in SEPA, even private ones.

I still have a couple tubes, Ryan. I've have them at Donegal, Quennamahoning and Keystone and others. For me the bigger reason not to use them is there are a lot less places for no-motors or electric only motors. Also the pack in convenience of the tube was a much bigger advantage out west than it is here. I have a sit on top and float tubes and for flyfishing I still prefer the tube. Hands free.

I'm considering getting one of these
http://www.inflatableboater.com/sea-eagle-packfish-7-review/

There are some fellas who use a tube on the Susky and some of the larger rivers. It allows them to get out to spots too deep to wade. You can also relax a bit in waist deep water without fear of stumbling or otherwise taking the plunge. I've never tried this on a river but it looked advantageous.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/rescue-of-several-dozen-group-of-over-on-susquehanna-river/article_3393c96e-5a18-11e7-bdfb-cb5f1d4a3188.html

Just don't end up like these people.

" I'm considering getting one of these
http://www.inflatableboater.com/sea-eagle-packfish-7-review/ "

That looks pretty nice. I have an Assault x and here is what I found from using it. The floor is open, so it lets you use fins to maintain contact with the water. This allows you to always be pointing in the direction you want. No need to use an oar to reposition if there is a breeze or current. Also, if you find a good spot that you want to fish for a while in say, 3 foot of water, you can just stand up in the middle of the boat. This is the biggest option on these boats. The bow and stern have slight rocker so they are up off the water some. This allows you to row when needed without the end plowing through the water and fighting you. I find this is also very helpful, especially when I am running through some rapids.

I own a couple Sea Eagle rafts...not the Packfish. I find them very good quality and use them for river floats with the family down the D. I have never had a problem or worried when using them. I think if the Packfish floor is removable, you may enjoy it using fins.

I have this one. it is pricey, but I think worth every penny.
http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/_p/prd17/4295033105/product/assault-x

Thanks for the info but I plan on using the raft for areas were I don't want to drag my kayak into and its only $300 . Plus the areas I plan on fishing are have allot of vegetation and your feet will just get caught up. I have a 8 foot stakeout pole I use on my yak for keeping in place most of the time and would jut rig a way to use on the raft. . Here is a example of what I would be fishing . pic

schiff wrote:
" I'm considering getting one of these
http://www.inflatableboater.com/sea-eagle-packfish-7-review/ "

That looks pretty nice. I have an Assault x and here is what I found from using it. The floor is open, so it lets you use fins to maintain contact with the water. This allows you to always be pointing in the direction you want. No need to use an oar to reposition if there is a breeze or current. Also, if you find a good spot that you want to fish for a while in say, 3 foot of water, you can just stand up in the middle of the boat. This is the biggest option on these boats. The bow and stern have slight rocker so they are up off the water some. This allows you to row when needed without the end plowing through the water and fighting you. I find this is also very helpful, especially when I am running through some rapids.

I own a couple Sea Eagle rafts...not the Packfish. I find them very good quality and use them for river floats with the family down the D. I have never had a problem or worried when using them. I think if the Packfish floor is removable, you may enjoy it using fins.

I have this one. it is pricey, but I think worth every penny.
http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/_p/prd17/4295033105/product/assault-x

Fredrick wrote:
I'm considering getting one of these
http://www.inflatableboater.com/sea-eagle-packfish-7-review/

That looks great value at that sale price.

If I didn't already have a hi end tube I would go for one of those as the Commanders are $800

I have a couple bucks bags tubes. Over 25 years old and still in great condition. I had the good fortune to live 2 blocks from the factory in Boise and cashed in on some trade ins. Yeah, they actually took trade ins. Looked more like as quilting bee iside than a factory back then but those ladies could sew. The best part of tubing is the complete hands free locomotion.

If anyone is interested, I'm fishing Lums Pond with GeeBee tomorrow (Tuesday). We are meeting at the boat ramp around 530-600 PM (after work excursion). Just wanted to extend the invitation to the board.

Fredrick, looking at that picture, I can see why you wouldn't want your feet in the water. Like I said, I have a couple Sea Eagle boats (SE-9) and I find them to be good quality, as they have served me well for the last 6 years. If this boat you are looking at is of the same quality, I would get it. Can't beat the price.
Stake out pole...I use a web strap with a rod holder that is adjustable. I wrap it around the tube and clip it in place. Web straps and the plastic buckle is sold very cheap at ACE. Maybe you could attach a small piece of PVC to a web strap and attach to your tube. Run your stake out pole through the PVC pipe piece to hold you in place.
Have fun with the new boat!

Schiff's comment gave me food for thought - what do you guys think of this ?

http://www.floattubefishing.com/how-to-mount-oars-to-your-float-tube/

unlike him, I would mount the oar locks on the top of the tube so the oars rest behind me in the Vee behind the seat and out of the water where trout or bass can't tangle.

I understand the drag issue but on ponds I can row backwards and it would allow me the confidence to tackle larger ponds and even slow moving creeks.

$65 plus shipping to convert my FatCat 4 deluxe to a pontoon. and no I don't have the bucks for a pontoon...

thoughts ?

Fredrick wrote:
Here is a example of what I would be fishing......

:-o

Make sure you get a tetanus shot...

Attachments

• Fred's salad bowl.JPG
    Fred's salad bowl.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 3
tomgamber wrote:
Kind of defeats the whole hands free flipper aspect.

Its nice to have both options the oars move you allot faster and farther

I fished Lums pond last night in DE - water was very murky and I only picked up one small white perch - which is the 1st one I've ever caught. so I at least added to my species list.

I fished an olive/white clouser, a red leech, orange and purple buggers on a type 2/3 sinker with a 10ft 6/7 wt.

they say the fishing is tough there as its heavily fished and to fish the flies slow. which I did and I could feel it ticking the bottom but apart from the perch no real luck.

unfortunately there was no real structure - trees, rocks, points etc to fish, just the drop off.

I think I need to tye some brighter flies with more flash and maybe even a rattle in to counter the murky water ? as I covered a whoel of water both trolling and casting.

one positive was that the water near the boat ramp was very shallow and would be easy wading along the whole shore if you wanted too to wade.

Yeah that place isn't the best to fish . Id find a pond of the beaten path and bring your tube there.

geebee wrote:
I fished Lums pond last night in DE - water was very murky and I only picked up one small white perch - which is the 1st one I've ever caught. so I at least added to my species list.

I fished an olive/white clouser, a red leech, orange and purple buggers on a type 2/3 sinker with a 10ft 6/7 wt.

they say the fishing is tough there as its heavily fished and to fish the flies slow. which I did and I could feel it ticking the bottom but apart from the perch no real luck.

unfortunately there was no real structure - trees, rocks, points etc to fish, just the drop off.

I think I need to tye some brighter flies with more flash and maybe even a rattle in to counter the murky water ? as I covered a whoel of water both trolling and casting.

one positive was that the water near the boat ramp was very shallow and would be easy wading along the whole shore if you wanted too to wade.

Back