Fall Stocking and put-and-take alternatives

ginkyhackle

ginkyhackle

So I'm walking down the east branch of the brandywine, and after the third dead rainbow trout floats by, I say to myself "this is depressing." Certainly, I'm as excited about the fall stocking as anyone; however, I wonder if those of use who live in the southern corner of the state will ever get serious about creating sustainable fisheries (other that the constantly beset valley creek) which don't rely on bi-annual injections of hatchery fish.

Creating sustainable brown trout fisheries in some of our spring fed (or even warmwater) creeks would certainly work, and I'm thinking at least the fly anglers would get behind such a move.

Incidentally, I've actually heard folks begin to make the argument that we should stock some of our more marginal trout streams with heat-hearty Mediterranean brown trout (salmo trutta fario and such). There are plenty of varieties of brown trout that occupy very warm waters in Europe. Yet, we seem to be fixated on placing fish with origins in the pacific northwest, Germany, Scotland, and England in waters that don't suit them! It's not like stocking a slightly different and more hardy morph of the same brown trout we've been stocking for nearly 150 years is going to threaten native species. Then we might take the radical step of leaving one or two streams alone for a couple of years to allow these fish to become established.

Yeeesh!

The Southeast PA TU chapter is focused on improving the quality of the Pennypack. I don't know if it would be possible to improve it enough to support wild trout,as it gets very slow and warm in the summer.

If you're interested in helping, we have a workday coming up. You can get more info on the chapter at

http://www.tu468.org/

Ah, There are enough brown trout streams in SEPA that you couldn't fish them all in a year. And some are better then Valley Creek.

Back