The Ultimate Hackle Throwdown

RCFetter

RCFetter

I found this link on another forum.

It's a comprehensive analysis of different types and brands of hackle. It was published about 10 days ago.

The Ultimate Hackle Throwdown

Two charts from the review:

Feather-Compare.JPG

Hackle-Chart.JPG

Interesting point made by the picture above the chart, and that is that a feather is not usually uniform in hackle length or texture as you move from stem to tip.

I tried paying for my groceries with Adamses, but they didn't know what to do with them.

Try the Swap Forum.

Can I find a fish tank in the swap forums?

gfen wrote:

I tried paying for my groceries with Adamses, but they didn't know what to do with them.

Adamses were replaced by bitcoins and how do you go from groceries to a fish tank.

I'm willing to trade 600 Adamses for a fish tank.

gfen wrote:

I'm willing to trade 600 Adamses for a fish tank.

That won't work but for 600 Adamses you can get

Referring to columns 3, 4 & 5 of the second chart, ASSL = Average Sweet Spot Length per hackle. FxCM2 = Feathers per Square Centimeter and Avg Length of Feather used per Adams = 3cm.

First they brought analytics to baseball, then education, then hockey..now fly tying?

I actually read through a portion of the article and found it interesting. Frankly, though I have more hackle now than I need. Nowadays if I buy hackle it is because of the color. So long as the feathers pass my quality test and I can afford it, I will buy it. I can see this being of use to the production crowd.

Back