Looking to start tying.... Gear info. needed..

JVenezia

JVenezia

Wishing to start tying my own. But not really sure which of all the starting kits kits is best or the most truly complete? What did others start with as far as tying kits? separate vise and tools? Bench?

JVenezia wrote:
Wishing to start tying my own. But not really sure which of all the starting kits kits is best or the most truly complete? What did others start with as far as tying kits? separate vise and tools? Bench?

As a newbie to tying, who started with a kit, if you are seriously going to get into tying, purchase a better vise. You won't regret the investment.

The kit is nice for giving you some basic materials and instructions on tying, but I have seen material only kits out there and I am sure that some of the experienced fly-tiers on here can give you a shopping list of items to begin your journey with.

Good Luck and be sure to post pics of your ties. You will get both gentle criticism and strong encouragement here.

Dave

You could go to your local fly shop and see what they have to offer. You can get one tailored to your needs and flies you want to start tying.

I was given a vice by my cousin and purchased a material only kit from cabella's. The kit was nice and it had everything I needed. The only area where it fell short was hackle feathers. I got some nice black and brown/ginger but the grizzly was not very good. I prefer a vice that has a base rather than a clamp. i also bought my tools separately but a "kit"

Get a good whip finisher you like. I prefer the matarelli to the thompson.

whips.jpg

Regarding the vise. I have rethought this a bit. Even if you are't sure you want to learn to tie, you should spend the money on a Renzetti Traveler or a Regal (a model that allows rotation, don't recall the name). If you change your mind, you can sell them for very close to what you paid. We are talking $200.00 or a bit less depending on c -clamp or pedestal.

Although any number of tyers use cheap vises and are fine with them, I believe a high quality vise adds several levels of ease and pleasure to the activity. Some vises really are just a bit better than junk and it's a battle just to get a hook to hold well. That's the last thing you need as a new tyer and I imagine more new tyers give up without recognizing it was the frustration of the cheap vise that was the culprit.

Bobbin. Tiemco ceramic

Thread. 8/0 Uni. Get white and black as a minimum.

Hooks. Tiemco hooks. No point experimenting with false economy to save a few bucks on hooks. Cabelas brand hooks, from what I can tell, are rebranded Tiemco and can be bought on sale on occasion. When I say rebranded Tiemco, I don't mean the new Umpqua type that are 6 bucks for 50. Those are made in China or Korea, the Cabelas are made in Japan, like the Tiemco.

Half hitch tool. Used ink pen with ink cartridge removed.

Hackle Pliers. English style, medium. Tension is adjustable. Also doubles as a dubbing loop twirler very nicely and, I might add, is actually more convenient since you have a tool designed for wrapping around a hook already afixed where you want it. Medium size or heavier suggested for the weight if you want to do this. These things are cheap anyway, couple of bucks, so I also like a small pair for tiny flies.

This is just getting started.

If your budget does not allow you to buy high end and/or new, check craig's list and ebay.

Don

I agree with getting a better vice. it makes life a lot easier. I went from tying on a kit vice which sucked to up grading to a 75 dollar vice and my last vice was a regal. the this is great. I can tie down to a 26 all the way to a 2/0 hook.
starting out tying is going to cost a lot of money. to tie one pattern it might cost 8 to 12 bucks depending on the material needed. its awesome to catch fish on something that you made. don't be discouraged and everyone sucks their first few flies. I still tie some ugly flies but I catch fish on them.

Buy a bobbin with a ceramic insert or tube. Best. Investment. Ever.

Will last forever and save you a lot of frustration and a few bucks down the road.

Kev

^This would be a good decision^

Back