Altoona Blair County

D

Dante12

New to the whole trout fishing scene, and eager to get into fly fishing but I do not where to go! A lot of streams I see are blocked off by business or some bodies house. Looked at the PA class A stream list and everything in my area saying 0% open to public. So I'm not quite sure where a good spot just to get started could be. I don't want to treasapass, and I would like to find a stream is atleast somewhat hidden from sight. So if anyone knows a good spot and where to access in or around Altoona please let me know!

I would suggest utilizing the class a/natural repro list in conjunction with google maps. Pick out one or a few streams you want to fish that are relatively close to each other and go fish them. If one is posted for the most part, go check out the next one.
If you want the remote mountain brookie type experience, check out some of the streams that flow off the allegheny front (Tipton, bells gap, big fill run and a bunch of others.)
there is no shortage of wild trout streams in blair county.

Thanks for the ideas. I've checked out Bells Gap before and it seems promising. My question is though all these runs are leading to reservoirs, and I know trout are stocked below the damns and most of these reservoirs like Bells Gap Run. Then the stream proceeds to run through yards and private property, even its not posted I don't like fishing in someone's back yard. So would there typically be any success if I were to head upstream past the reservoirs? So of the runs see too small but some show promise I just don't know if trout are able to access such locations.

Not too much directly in Altoona. Take a little drive. Little Juniata is prime.

Dante, yes, there is good fishing above the reserviors on both Tipton and bells gap. Mostly native brookies that run fairly small. Tipton run, however, is class a below the dam, so no stocking. I would recommend just checking out every stream your interested in exploring. Some of the limestone streams over by Roaring Spring are worth checking out too.

I have lived in the Altoona area fo most of my 67 year's and have been fishing for over 60 years there numerous opertunity's in any direction pm me I would be happy to show you around

You're in a great place for trout fishing. PM sent.

As prior poster said, just go to the Little Juniata River for your first 9 or 10 trips and you'll be in business!!! Find Tyrone and you'll find water nearby...

Worry about the little brookies/wild trout later on....

Back