2014 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree - 13 Dec.

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

To all PAFF members, family, and friends:

You are invited to attend and participate in the 2014 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree, to be held on Saturday, December 13th, from 10 AM to 5 PM.

This event is being hosted by Heritage-Angler and myself. Either of us will answer any questions regarding the event.

This event will be held at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, in Slatington, PA. Directions can be found here:

http://lgnc.org/

Everyone is invited to attend and watch the demonstrations, get tips from the the tyers, and have a great time. We particularly encourage beginner tyers to attend, and we'll have beginner instruction set up at a table. Details to follow.

As always, we need to recruit a team of volunteer tyers of all skill levels to participate and we ask that you register your willingness to give a demonstration by signing up in this thread. Each tyer will be given 15-20 minutes to tie and explain their chosen demo fly. Tyers will tie one at a time, proceeding around the room. Please choose a pattern that fits in to one of the following categories, and list it in your signup post. Duplicates are OK, but try to pick a pattern that hasn't already been chosen.

Categories:

- Catskill style dries
- parachute style dries
- comparadun and hairwing style dries
- emergers
- imitative nymphs
- attractor nymphs
- terrestrials
- wet flies
- streamers
- "other" flies

Tying on a large hook (e.g. #12) makes it much easier for the audience to see what you are doing. It really helps if you practice your "demo" beforehand, especially to keep within the time limit. Having all materials laid out beforehand is also good. We should be able to fit about 30 tyers into the rotation. If we have extra time, that time will be used for Q & A sessions following each demo. We request that the tyers explain techniques as they go, rather than just tying the fly, and explaining afterwards. This can easily make a 5 minute tie into a 15 minute tie, so be prepared.

Things to bring:

All Tools and materials to tie your chosen demo fly. A tying lamp and any extension cords you need - there's an ample number of outlets on the walls behind the tying tables.

Bring any food or drinks you'd like to, but save room for dinner! We'll provide spring water on ice.

It's a good idea to get there and set up your tying gear before 10AM. We'll have access to the hall at the LGNC at 9AM, so please be ready to start tying at 10AM.

We'll also be holding a raffle at 5 PM of donated tying materials and flyfishing gear. Any donations to this raffle are welcome, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, as a "thank you" for allowing us to use their beautiful facility for this event.

We'll be heading over to Riverwalck's Saloon after the event for drinks and dinner. Directions to Riverwalck's Saloon can be found here:

http://riverwalcksaloon.com/

Let the hostess know you are with Paflyfish, and she'll take you to our tables.

Looking forward to a fun and educational day, meeting new PAFF members, and seeing old friends and fishing buddies!

Please sign up below, and don't forget to list your chosen demo fly. Let the games begin!

Here's a LINK to the wrap up for last year's event.
Mike.

Outstanding!

It is indeed an honor and priveledge to be working with Mike on this event. I'll be taking photos of the flies tied to post on a slide show for all members of PAFF to see.

We do request that the flies tied be donated to the raffle - we'll package them in groups of 6 flies per raffle prize.

Please don't be intimidated to tie at this event. I have yet to see anyone tie that couldn't do a dandy job tying there (djs12354, there's no escape this year).

The skill level of our tyers here on PAFF is really something to see, and everyone can learn something from ALL our members that tie flies. Come share your skills, knowledge, and fly patterns with your fellow PAFF members.

This is gonna be a GREAT time!

H.A.

Wish I could commit, but I may be out of town this year...this would be a bummer.

Anyone on the fence about demonstrating, or even attending...just do it! You wont be disappointed. FT/HA put together an awesome event every year.

I'll check back once I know my schedule for the weekend.

Pretty sure I am in. Pattern tbd

I'm in...not sure what I'll tie...

Thanks to Mike and Ed for organizing this event again this year. I have participated in this event for the past two years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I would encourage anyone with an interest in flytying to attend or actually tie a pattern at the Jam. This is a great venue for the event and I have met a lot of great folks and picked up on some great patterns and tying techniques over the years. Don't miss this opportunity if you have the chance.

I'm in. I will tie a pattern that is a very simple pattern to tie but has proved itself over the years as a big time producer for both trout and bass. The pattern is the "Olive Wooly Bomber". It is kind of a wooly bugger on steroids when it comes to catching fish. Thanks again to Mike and Ed, looking forward to seeing all of you again.

John

Hi Guys, I am interested if you will have me. Don't know what I would tie. Would have to think about it.

GenCon

I will be there. Put me down for Caddis.

I will also donate a door prize or two.

We already have some great tyers lining up! It's okay to sign up with TBD but please try to pick a pattern within a few days so that other tyers will know what is already being demonstrated and can choose accordingly.

Here is the list so far:

SBecker: TBD
Volksnurse: TBD
DC410: Olive Wooly Bomber
GenCon: TBD (Of course we will have you, and that avatar would make a pretty good choice;)
SkyBlue: Caddis (Is this an adult caddis? Thanks for thinking of the raffle!)

I'd like to come out for this event as a tyer. Put me down for a Sculpin pattern.

I'll tie something. Maybe parachute sulphur? I was working on them a lot over the summer.

FrequentTyer, ok I could do a breadcrust. Or I could do Flicks Red Quill "another personal favorite". Any thouights. I like to tie any type of quill body flys. As far as a donation for the raffle. I could tie a couple dozen dry flys. Is that something you would want? or are you just looking for materials and equipment?

GenCon

I'm in as a spectator. Still trying to step up my tying game but its been a crazy year. Let me know if we need anything in particular I'd be happy to help out.

I'm in as a spectator. Still trying to step up my tying game but its been a crazy year. Let me know if we need anything in particular I'd be happy to help out.

Yes adult with a new wing material.

I'll be there and will tie a hair streamer that I fish regularly, I'll also show a marabou alternate.

I could do a matuka.

Ok, it is settled for me I will do breadcrust. I am also encouraging Tyger to join and share a pattern. Tyger has been tying with me for a while now. He is becoming a exelecent tyer. What say you Tyger?

GenCon

SkyBlue wrote:
Yes adult with a new wing material.

What a relief!

I've kept this under my hat for 2 years now. This is REALLY cool!

jhedge - we could use someone to run the raffle. However, this is your last mulligan. Next year, you gotta tie. You've gotten way too good at this to not contribute. :)

Calling Tyger.........your presence is respectfully requested on the outside of the tables (as a tyer). GenCon is right - you tie nice flies!

Back