Type of boat question...

I

Imgonnamissher

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the gear section or this section, considering most of the fishing I will do from a craft of any sort will be for warmwater species in PA. Essentially, I am looking for advice and/examples of the types of boats preferred and used by forum members here. I will be moving to the area between York and Hanover very soon, close to the Maryland line (we like Glen Rock alot, but the research continues). I would like opinions on the best boat for that area, i.e., should I be looking for a jon, mod V, or deep V, and size-wise, what should I be looking at considering I could be fishing the Susquehanna one day and an electric only lake the next, and possibly protected areas of the bay the day after that (mainly the rivers that enter the bay, especially the Patuxent by the Benedict and the Potomac all the way to Point Lookout). I realize that there will never be one boat that is perfect for all situations, but I'm just looking for opinions on what direction I should go. I should also mention that I am looking for an aluminum based on towing it and durability, and will probably have a budget of around $3000, give or take, so I am not looking for a Bass boat that will do 65 mph across the water. Incidentally, in my mind I am picturing a 16', alum. deep V with a 15-20 horse motor? Would this fit the bill, or should I be changing my view of what to look for?

While I'm personally attached to boats that you paddle and throw on the car roof - I do think you're correct to look at an aluminum V hull with trailer. These days there are some very good deals on used boats; definitely a buyer's market. In any event, a V hull will handle the "bigger" waters you describe and will be able to withstand the dings and dents you'll get on the rivers. Lake Marburg will be in your neck of the woods and has a horsepower limit (I think 18hp?) so you might check the power limits on these lakes before buying an outboard. A decent sized V hull will also make for a stable fishing platform and will have space for your growing, soon-to-be fishing partner. :)

If you're planning on fishing the susky on the Conwingo res. then a jet boat would be the best set up. You will bust up a prop in the river...no doubt about it. A guy in my BASS CLUB wrecked his New Skeeter boat up there. One downside to a jet is aquatice grass. Jets do not do through heavy grass beds.

Realisticly, if you're going to the susky flat, then you would want a boat that can handle bigger water such as an fiberglass v haul. Search craigslist and you might find a steal. Good luck

If you go aluminum, make sure it is all welded. Rivets come loose especially with the pounding a john takes on the river.

Don't bypass the Potomac just below the beltway. Absolutely incredible fishery for monster blue cats, LM bass, and big stripers in the spring.

Jets are great for shallow running, but the Potomac and Susque have a fair share of grass in the summer which can really slow you down with the jet.

How often will you really make it down to Lookout or the Bay? If it is only a couple times a year, I would just charter. There is a big difference between the optimum river boat and one that will be comfortable fishing the lower Potomac and the Bay.

If only funds were unlimited and I could buy a new Hobie, an 18' Sea Ark, a 22' bay boat, and a 41 Albe. The I'd be set.

I really appreciate the replies on this topic. As I look into the topic of boating more and more, I am shaping and reshaping what I am looking for as time passes. While a jet boat would be nice, between money and maintenance, I probably will not be going that route. I'm a pretty basic kinda guy, and the boat will reflect that, that is, a hull, a motor, a trolling motor, and that would probably be it for quite some time. iboats.com has a number of decent used packages that would fit the bill for my price range.
Incidentally, after thinking about where I will use the boat most of the time (Sanctuary, "How often will you really get down to Point Lookout...", this statement helped a great deal!), I am thinking that a mod v will serve my purposes better than a deep v, mostly for running the rivers and as a more stable platform. I will be looking for something welded, and probably still in the 16' range. After looking through Clouser's Smallmouth book again and realizing that if I ever used it in the bay it would be on extremely calm days in protected areas anyway, the mod v will allow me to fish in areas where the deep v wouldn't and be a better all around choice. But again, all this could change, and if my wife and I ever move closer to the bay she'd probably kill me if I brought home a 20' center console:)

Glad to help. I bought an 18' Wellcraft CC when I moved to DC and was glad to have a fast, stable platform that would work in the bay and Lower Potomac as well. The fact of the matter was, I fished local waters multiple times a week and rarely went anywhere else. When I did go on a trip, it was to the Outer Banks or Florida and I just found a charter. If I had known this ahead of time, I would have found an ~18' Aluminum with a good trolling motor (with autopilot) to fish all the local waters.

Good luck with the search.

If you intend on fishing the susky ANYWHERE above conewingo res. , the potomac above Violets (upper potomac), YOU WILL bust a prop. Make sure you're careful buddy and good luck with your boat ;)

Back