Susquehanna

S

spike-2

I will be visiting family in Wilkes Barre at the end of the month. What has the smallie fishing been like North of WB?
Thanks
Dave

The smallmouth fishing is good - Harding > Falls > Tunkhannock you can't go wrong. Good luck.

Afish
It's been about 50 years since I was last in that area. Can you suggest some spots where I can wade. Thanks Dave

Spike,

Attached is a map of the area. I don’t know where you’re starting from exactly, but drive north to West Pittston. Follow RT 92 N along the river. The first good spot to wade is “the power plant” as locals will tell you, except the plant is no longer there. To find it drive about 3 miles following the river on 92, you’ll see a fence along the river and large transformers and a power line.. Along the fence, on your right, you will see a place to pull over and park. You can also park on the opposite side of 92. It’s a short walk down to the river – upstream is best for wading.

The next spot is a few miles north on 92 – Apple Tree Road PFBC access area. It’s marked well and has a paved parking area and boat launch. Wading downstream is better there.

Just before the Falls bridge (right at the ballpark) make a right. This is a PFBC owned area where you can park along the river and fish. You can wade up or down from there.

The Falls bridge crosses the river to the east side, and 92 follows the river to Tunkhannock. You can pull over in spots and fish all along 92.

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&q1=18643&trf=0&lon=-75.795708&lat=41.389817&mag=6

Flow data for W-B. It’s in great shape for fishing right now.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=01536500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

Good luck on your trip. Let us all know how you made out.

AF
Thanks -- used to fish at the powwer plant with my dad! Fishing at that time was with stone cats and helgramites.

What patterns work good at his time of year, I suspect clousers and wooly buggers -- anything else stone flys, crab patterns.
Thanks again Dave

Spike,

Buggers and Clousers should work. If the water is still fairly warm, even poppers or sliders might work on top. If the fishing is tough stripping buggers or streamers, try slowing it down by dead drifting on the bottom weighted buggers, big stone fly nymphs (with rubber legs), and/or some BHHE size# 6 or 8. Let them swing at the end of the drift, and retrieve them a little at the end to fine out what the fish are looking for.

I also fished there when I was a kid with stonecats and hellgrimites (catties and clippers as the local call them). I lived close enough to ride there with my bike. Fishing that water brings back a lot of memories.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

I am moving to wilkes barre next fall and i was curious to see what the fishing is like up there. Are there any good trout streams in the area? I will be going to Wilkes University so where is the best fishing within a half hour of town?

the tilberry has some good fish. i think it is pretty close.

Back