Striper Fishing

B

bmi2677

I may be headed up to Nantucket at the end of July with a friend. While there we were thinking about doing some striper fishing. Has anyone ever fished around there? Any guide services you'd recommend?

If you have what weight fly rod would you recommend? And does salt water hurt your reel after a coupled days fishing?

I've never fly fished in salt water before and don't much know what to expect. Any and all knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Nantucket in July = night fishing & crack of dawn for the big boys (well the big ones are really girls, but it doesn't sound as impressive...sounds more like chubby chasing). There are numerous places to fish, but there is also a lot of private land on Nantucket, too. If you haven't done much striper fishing in the area before, it would behoove you to get a guide on one of the first days to get some info. There are a plethora of guides, including some world renown guides there. I had always just ventured out on my own, so can't give any of them a reference.

7-10wts are the range you are looking for. Get some clousers, whistlers, deceivers, and sand eels and you will be good to go. As long as your reel is "approved" by the manufacturer for salt water, you should be ok...just wash off all your equipment after each outing. pick up a tide schedule as you get there...from shore, try and fish the the high tide just as it turns out.and fish the structure. If nothing else, there will be plenty of schoolies (smaller SBs) that are a heck of a lot of fun.

If you have a 4 wheel drive, you can get a beach permit to drive until you see some fish blitzing...then jump out and cast. Hint for this is to deflate your tires to about 10lbs of pressure while on the sand for better traction. Many exits there have air pumps so you can reinflate as you get back onto the hardtop.

I've never fished Nantucket before but you could definitely expect some striper action there. This would mainly be a surf fishing game - I'd recommend a 9WT or 10WT rod with a sink tip line. As David said, it's best during low light conditions during summer. And I'll second the recommendation that you consider a guide.

David gave excellent advise. But one other suggestion would be to find some flats that are knee or waist deep and look for cruising bass. You will be sight fishing. Orient the sun at your back, and look downstream, so that the fish will be swimming toward ya. They will swim into the current. This sort of fishing is a blast! Seeing these things chase down your fly is a rush! Earlier this year (June) on the Vineyard the sight fishing was fantastic. Deceivers or clousers...color does not matter too much if the fish are there and plowing food.

Another suggestion is to just bring one spin rod. Rig it with a ballistic missile or roberts rangers. These are very popular bluefish lures up that way. Blues will hound dog these things big time. This sort of fishing can provide very cool visuals.

Good luck! That area of the world can be fantastic for salt fishing.

Wow much thanks for all the info everyone. It's not 100% we'll be going yet, but if so I'll be sure to report how it all went. I really hope it all works out though, I love catching trout as much as the next guy but after 14 years of it I'm getting the "itch" to try new things with the fly rod, so to speak.

I go up almost every week end of every summer.....no I am not rich, but I fly a privet jet and the guy that owns it...well he is....any who, there is a place in town called cross rip outfitters, they are awesome they will point you in the right direction. If you dont have 4 wheel drive then go somewhere you can walk on. Manakok which is to the south of the island has place you can walk to, if you want a guide cross rip has them, Dave is a great guide.

Hope it helps PM me if you need any other info

See Dave's post about equipment, but I left out one thing, and Dave hit on it, there is a lot of privet land and for some reason people can be rather.....shall we say "unpleasant". which is fare its there land...but double check, I knock on the door and ask, most will let you and some times even tell you where to fish.

not trying to take over the thread but i will also be in Mass in early augest and i might get up to maine as well. im looking to get into saltwater flyfishing i just picked up a 8 wt guru reel and put sinking line on it. any advice for where to go and flies? when im in mass i can go anywhere so any good places to fish would be a huge help.

thanks marc

Nantucket is beautiful. It is guarantee you will find a lot of good places and opportunities.
Most of the gear to use in salt water is bigger, heavier and must reflect and resist rough condition in the ocean. There are hundreds of shops can get you salt water supply if you miss anything.
Bring us the pictures and good luck.

PS:
The picture taken around 1985

Attachments

• Long_Island_Morning_exposure_on_Ectachrome64_35mm.jpg
    Long_Island_Morning_exposure_on_Ectachrome64_35mm.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3
Try these guys preatt good for the area your going;
http://www.crossrip.com/

Back