Southern Lanc Co Pond

S

SWeiss

I fish the pond at the Southern Lancaster County Farmer's Sportsman's Association "the sports farm". It's a decent pond, about an acre and a half, and a great place to take kids too. There are stocked trout, bass, panfish, and a few grass carp.

At this time of year this pond is like warm dish water and most of the fish are feeding near the bottom, or congregating near the spring that feeds it on the south side.

I spent a few hours fishing today and caught a nice variety of fish. No trophies, but good practice nonetheless. All said, I managed to land five fish, and lost quite bit more. Most of the fish shook the hook, and I am not sure if the small hook in the Ant I was using (#16) was the culprit or not. I definitely need more practice fishing wet

(1) Largemouth on a Black Ant fished wet. (2) This little bass was caught on a Red San Juan Worm. (3) I caught this small brown on a Black Ant. (4) The last fish of the day was this tiny gill. Got her on the Black Ant as well.

080109_Bass_1.jpg

080109_Bass_2.jpg

080109_Trout_1.jpg

080109_Bluegill_1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Might as well stomp on those fish while they are on the ground

Nah. Stomping on them makes it harder to cut them up for catfish bait later on.

No tom, I encourage the stomping of brookies and rainbows.

Neat report - sounds like that pond has a bit of everything in it.

Thanks Fishidiot!

If nothing else it's a good place to practice without bothering anyone on a nice stream.

Looks like a great place to work on those casting skills without having the pressure of trying to catch a nice fish! Nothing worse than being on a trout stream, finding rising fish and focusing too much on casting technique...

Can't enlarge the picture of the brown but...

You said that a spring runs into the pond. That brown looks a bit small, and unless it was a private hatchery, or a fingerling... is it possible the spring holds wilds and that fish is from the spring and he swam into the pond? Just curious due the size. Don't know the area at all.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

The spring enters via a large iron pipe. The pond was built there, and discharges on the opposite side. Perhaps it was just a tiny stream in the beginning?

Here is a full size pic of the trout.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/swweiss/brown_1.jpg

He looks pretty stocked to me. I'm sure that spring provides enough cold water at the lower depths to keep trout alive. Otherwise like most ponds, it would warm well past the point that trout could survive.

Back