Smallmouth Fishing in the East and West Branches of the Brandywine

lprudente

lprudente

Just wanted to weigh in and maybe get some feedback regarding smallie fishing on either branch of the Brandywine. I have been at it for a few seasons now, and although my buddy and I have caught some nice fish, we never really "slay 'em". Maybe it is just our technique or lack thereof (we usually wade) or is it really the fact that it is marginal habitat and doesn't hold large populations of smallies. I appreciate your comments.

I've never fished these creeks so will leave the answer to the folks from that neck of the woods who know them well. I have heard decent things about the Brandywine and would guess that you're doing fine. What you expect with regards to "slayin 'em" is relative but, in my experience on waters of similar size, I'd be happy in an afternoon or evening of FFing to get a dozen bass in the range of 8-12 inches. A 15" smallie on a medium sized creek is a pretty big fish and I would consider fish of this size to be much less prevalent than what one could expect in the Delaware or Susquehanna. I think sometimes that some bass fishermen get used to catching large numbers of fish on bigger rivers and this can result in disappointing experiences on smaller waters.

Thanks for the reply. I guess my idea of a good day is the same as yours, and I have found that to be rare on these waters. However, I think if I keep putting my time in, the fish will come. Again, I appreciate your input and tight lines!

I'm not new to the smallie game and rarely get over ten a outing on the Brandywine . There is just not enough smallie habitat IMHO, to much sand and not enough rocks and boulders. If you find the rocks you will find the smallies :-D

I agree with Fredrick that the B-wines are only "okay" SMB streams. And, as Fishidiot wrote, I too have high expectations that really are rarely met in SE PA.

The best SE PA SMB fisheries are the Schuykill River, which is decent in some spots, and the D River (from Yardley upstream) which is good.

Gentlemen, thanks for the intel. I have had some success on the Schyukill, specifically Muhlenberg Park outside of Reading. Appreciate the comments and take 'er easy!

I agree with what has been said so far. If you have a canoe or kayak, a float trip (stopping at the good pools) would be a good way to improve your numbers since you can cover more water. There are some really nice smallies in both branches, but not really that many. My best was 19" from the east branch and saw one about 22" in the west branch.

19" is a damn impressive fish for those waterways.

Back