september smallies on the swatara

brain

brain

so i went "exploring", down the creek farther than i normally go...and got chased out of the creek by cold water. 60* at 1130 on the morning is a bit chilly on the bones.
so still wanting to bend the rod i headed out to where i normally go, later in the afternoon. i was promptly rewarded with much warmer water, 76* and as such the fish were much more friendly. i wasn't more than a few paces deep in the creek and an hour later hadn't taken another step. i was into fish simply by removing the fly from the currently caught fish and tossing it back into the creek.
no pix, not quite brave enough with the new "waterproof" phone yet...wish i was though. nothing of great size other than one nice bronzie that put a nice bend in the rod, but threw the hook right before i got to touch him. the real highlight was just the numbers of fish caught, and all with a very aggressive take. i would still be out, but a 430am rollcall in steelton monday morning forced me to call it early.
and and just a fantastic early fall pre-evening on the swatty. it days like this that make me smile in the deep of winter.

on a side note, i'm really liking the st.croix legend ultimate 5wt i've using most of the summer.

You must have found a "feeder" creek or spring influence, because a 16 degree swing isn't normal...

i was not too far downstream from one of the creeks major tribs, which is moderately spring influenced. however i had not been at that particular spot in many years, and do not know what temp it typically runs at. i rarely get farther south than around valley glen. the latter spot was running at par for the course.

Nice! You did a whole lot better than I did on the Conestoga last evening. I got my butt kicked by the 'Stoga last night. Couldn't hook up on a single smallie. Had a few decent hits that I missed and did catch a few really pretty Redbreasts. I fished some really great looking water that just screamed "SMALLMOUTH", but to no avail. The wind was a bit of an issue (but I am not one for making excuses), some nights its just not meant to be. Anyway, it was a beautiful September evening to spend on the river and that is exactly what I chalked it up as. I am hoping to get into some decent fall smallmouth fishin' this year.

According to the USGS gauge, she's gettin' kinda skinny!

Shes just getting a little low. When harpers starts showing readings in the negative, then shes skinny.

Brain,

My buddy floats it from the glen down to the 743 area. He comes back with pics of giant smallies every time.

hit "my" section again today 9-20. water temps are well down into the 60's. surface was pretty slow, but crystal buggers are still being taken, although not as assertively as earlier in the month. the fall fish have their feed bags tied on pretty tight. caught several 14-16" fish that appeared to beat equally as large smallies to the fly. the water was gin clear, just the way i like it. i'm hoping that i can get out again tomorrow before the rain.

Back