Public Meeting on Muskie Management - Oct 2nd

F

Fishidiot

The PFBC will be hosting a public meeting in Allegheny County on future issues in muskellunge management and is seeking public comment.

Muskie Meeting

If you can't attend, you can email or mail your comments. I will certainly be sending my views. The agency has, in my opinion, become much more progressive and forward thinking with respect to muskies in recent years. However, raising and stocking muskies is very expensive and there may be a reduction in waters that receive them. If you're a muskie guy, I'd urge you keep abreast and participate in the debate and send your views to the PFBC.

I actually attended this meeting along with 5 of my friends to speak our opinions on what they are planning.they did say that the plan is not set in stone and they want opinions about the plan. We showed them results of our fisheries near us and to voice we would like to keep them on the stocking program.my friends and I have been helping to float stock musky fingerings for 6 years now, so we also showed them photos of the stocking.if anybody wants to comment on their site it would help alot and could be enough to keep your local waters stocked with musky.

I haven't read the plan yet. It's posted on the pafbc website. But it great that people are getting more involved with these fish. Most trout and panfish guys see them as vile almost borderline evil. But I hope that all changes. There a awsome gamefish that requires a very different set of skills to catch.

Incidentally, when I sent the PFBC my comments on muskies, they were misdirected by a bad link/email address.

I will be re-sending my comments by snail mail.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Most trout and panfish guys see them as vile almost borderline evil.

Funny you mention that...

When I caught my first (and only) one of these fish earlier this year, some of the local panfish guys suggested that I should have "tossed it in the woods for rocky racoon." I suppose I can understand the frustration, but these fish deserve more credit.

I haven't gotten to read the plan yet; but hopefully I can contribute something worthwhile despite my limited [d]fishing[/d] catching experience.

My home waters by my house. I heard stories of perch fisherman would happen to hook A musky while retrieving a fish. They bring em in a stick with a knife. I believe it, I found a tiger last spring dead. I never seen it happen & if I did there would be trouble.

It is the same situation in my area too.it is heavily stocked with trout by local clubs and they always complain about them eating them all.I personally think think the trout guys do more damage with over harvesting and not keeping the deeply hooked fish.the other thing is that the water gets too warm in the summer for the fish to hold over anyways.muskies might eat 1% but I highly doubt that with the sucker rich environment they have.they also complain about them eating smallies.smallies eat their own and are way more populated to do damage to their kind.people just dont understand these fish can't be replaced overnight.once they are gone it takes millions of dollars to replace any great musky water,and still may never be the same.I release all fish they are too beautiful to destroy.I am not against people keeping fish its everybodies right if they buy a license. The thing is you can take pictures and I measurements now to get them mounted and you can release it for someone else to catch for a great memory.people just dont understand that where im from. Just wanted to thank all of you guys that sent comments too

Musky perfer soft rayed fish. Trout, suckers & carp fall in right in there. But everything I read they take out the cripples or the struggling fish. There a easy meal. Im not saying they dont kill outta instinct, but that just in there nature there the APEX predator.

Joel your right they are a very fragile fish as far as handling , the way you fight 'em & fishery managment. They will literally kill them selves tring to get away. There such a muscular fish that the lactic acid builds up quickly and it hard for them to recover. And please pinch your barbs guys it safer for getting the hooks outta the fish and yourselves.

Back