Ocean City Md. fly fishing

buffalo

buffalo

Headed down to Ocean City Md. with family next week, is is worth bringing down fly rod?
Also have some surf equipment but don't know much about fishing Maryland, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Buffalo

Coincidence, I'm going fly fishing in the surf for the first time next week in Ocean City...New Jersey.

I know its not the best time to try, but why not try it out? I've been told anywhere from an 8 to a 10 wt, and that a intermediate sink tip line is helpful for surf fishing, and that a stripping basket is imperitive.

Hopefully, I'll have some good stories to tell when I get back.

Another coincedence: This Fri evening I'm heading down to Virginia beach for a week. I'm taking my 9wt and a bunch of saltwater flies. I don;t know how much time i can spend fishing, but I'll give it a try. I plan to fish around the Lynnhaven Inlet. Don;t know too much about it but I saw it on a map, looked like a promising place, then read reports about catching fish in that area. Mornings are out for me, but hopefully my wife an drop me off in the evenings then pick me up later.
John

I fished wildwood NJ a few weks ago.

Unless you are planning to hit an inlet, a jetti, or some kind of channel. I'd leave my fly rod at home. the coast is real flat all along there. If you were heading to Tampa or someplace where it gets deep quick and the water is warm I'd say go for it.

You may catch something off the beach. Not saying you cant or wont.

When I am done fishing I take whatever rod I am using into the shower with me. get all that salt and crap off your line and reel. It can really destroy stuff.

I bought a new fly reel right before I went to wildwood and it took everything in me to not take it. I took my old crappy one instead.

Good luck no matter what you're fishing with!!!
Let us know.

I didn't catch crap.

JF_ wrote:
Another coincedence: This Fri evening I'm heading down to Virginia beach for a week. I'm taking my 9wt and a bunch of saltwater flies. I don;t know how much time i can spend fishing, but I'll give it a try. I plan to fish around the Lynnhaven Inlet. Don;t know too much about it but I saw it on a map, looked like a promising place, then read reports about catching fish in that area. Mornings are out for me, but hopefully my wife an drop me off in the evenings then pick me up later.
John

Think flounder...

If ti is not taking up critical room in the car, it is worth bringing a fly rod wherever you go. Because if you don't there will be an opportunity.

Ok we should re-name this thread to coincidence;
Gfen
We usually go to Ocean City N.J. and I can help you out. I did pretty well in the early morning and into the night (depending on the tide) on snapper blues and flounder at Corsons inlet. I would park by the boat ramp and walk towards the ocean, there are weed beds about two thirds of the way that hold the blues.
Used a 9’ 6” for 7 weight with Clouser minnows and Crazy Charlies. If you have surf or medium to heavy duty fresh water spinning gear it worked as well with small hopkins and some dark or black floating lures. Found the guys at FinAtics (sp) to be helpful.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/corsons.html

GF
I was stationed at NAS Oceana and NS Norfolk, spent a lot of time fishing pier and surf but never did do well with the fly rod in the ocean or even the bays. There are some pretty good fresh water lakes ( Lake Smith I think is one of them) close to the Bay bridge.

Here is a site I visit
http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/

Buffalo

buffalo wrote:
Ok we should re-name this thread to coincidence;
Gfen
We usually go to Ocean City N.J. and I can help you out. I did pretty well in the early morning and into the night (depending on the tide) on snapper blues and flounder at Corsons inlet. I would park by the boat ramp and walk towards the ocean, there are weed beds about two thirds of the way that hold the blues.
Used a 9’ 6” for 7 weight with Clouser minnows and Crazy Charlies. If you have surf or medium to heavy duty fresh water spinning gear it worked as well with small hopkins and some dark or black floating lures. Found the guys at FinAtics (sp) to be helpful.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/corsons.html

According to the Interwebs, I'm 7 minutes from the Park, just over two miles. I didn't go up that way at all last year, but I did become familar with the guys at Finatics, as it was the tackle shop I bought bait at.

I'm gonna take my surf gear I bought last year, and a 10wt I bought this year (most people I spoke to in shops got sort of a glazed look in their eyes when I mentioned fy casting the surf). I do realize its probably too heavy, but better to be overgunned than undergunned, I figure.

I have fished the surf in Ocean City MD and VA Beach. At OC fish are absolutely possible. Be careful as I almost caught a jogger on my back cast!!!!

At VA Beach if you can get close to some of the bridge pilings at night you can catch quite a mixed bag... striper, flounder, etc.... I highly recommend Clousers and itermediate line or a full sink or shooting heads. With the current that moves through it is pretty rough getting a fly down with a floating line.

Good luck and tight lines!

Buffalo,
Take your fly rod - as Tomgamber said.
Ocean City MD has good fishing although mid-summer isn't prime time. Nevertheless, there is good fishing for flounder and weakies both on the beach and around the RT 50 bridge. Down at #OOPS#ateague National Seashore there are a lot of surf fishermen. Try walking the beach at the crack of dawn with a fly rod and you might luck into weaks, flounder, stripers, or spanish. And you can always wet a line with conventional gear. Good luck with your trip.

went down to surf fish cape henlopen, DE (25 miles to the north). I had some bites but didn't bring anything in. The guy next to me caught a small croker. You probably want catch much this time of year but its a great way to spend the day on the beach. As for the fly rod, hit the back bays with a deciever and you may have some luck...go for it...

I fished those areas for years (henlopen to Va.) on the beach. Blues, weakies, flounder, puppy drum, shark, spanish are all doable on the fly. An 8wt. this time of year with an intermediate line some clousers, poppers, decievers, and a few shrimp and crab patterns. shootin basket a must have. wet wading shoes or bootys. orvis sells a nice low flats booty for around 39.00 i think. I have a pair and wouldnt wade the beach or flats without them (rays, crabs, crabs, glass, etc.) no need for fancy leaders just a 5ft. lenth of 20 to 40 lb. line and a bite tippet (6" 60-80lb) if needed. pliers light, and bug spray. thats it and have fun..

Thanks for the help guys, as I mentioned on the other thread I didn’t do much more then chuck worms ( actually night crawlers worked well for the spot and croakers) and Gulp for the flounder. But had a good time with the family. Going to NJ next year, even if the fishing is slow you can at least get the fly rod out in the inlet.

Buffalo

Back