had a "Crappie" day...

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Seeing as it's still raining up here and will be a while before the streams are fishable, so I spent the morning yesterday at another of my local bluegill waters, but this time, I didn't find any bluegills on the bed, but I did find a large school of sizable black crappies. In a period of a little over an hour and a half, I ended up landing something like 55 of these things, to the point that my wrists were sore and my palm was blistered from fighting the things. The best part, three of them were true slabs for this lake, both close to a foot and over a pound. The best part...the fly I was using was the same olive beadhead hare's ear nymph I dominated the bluegills with last week, leading me to believe I may have to cut down the number of poppers and spiders in my panfish box and add a few more nymphs.

Also, if you fish for crappies, make sure you keep the pressure on them after you hook up, as they will throw the hook as soon as you give them any slack (learned that one the hard way...)

Well, here are a few pics...these may not look like much, but they are monsters for this pond.

Attachments

• crappie_1.jpg
    crappie_1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3
  • crappie_2.jpg
    crappie_2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2
  • crappie_3.jpg
    crappie_3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2
Also got my first LMB of the year, as well as what I believe is a bluegill/pumpkinseed hybrid...

Attachments

• largemouth.jpg
    largemouth.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3
  • hybrid.jpg
    hybrid.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2
Back