Fort Lauderdale, April

turkey

turkey

What's up everyone? I've kicked this question around with a few of you and have gotten really good advice so far. I thought I'd post it up here though.

Im going to visit my in-laws the second week of April in Ft. Lauderdale. They're close to Ft. Lauderdale beach so I'll be really close to the shore. I know some of you guys have fished this area (Dave W., ryguy, Alby). Does anyone have any advice on this area? I'm not getting a guide and won't have a boat, unless i rent a kayak somewhere. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for snook or baby tarpon but any species would be great.

Thanks

Don't miss the International Game Fish Assoc Museum. It's right nearby in Dania Beach and worth a visit.

As for fishing, you can't go wrong just walking the beach and blind casting - never know what you'll hook. I'd get out in the am before the crowds. Snook are possible. Redfish and pompano should be around as well as some ladyfish, trout, and jacks. If you see jacks and that are medium size or bigger (about 24"+), don't cast to 'em unless you've got at least a 100yds of backing as they can really smoke a foot bound angler. Big ones are almost impossible to land without a 10WT. I usually leave 'em alone when I'm fishing a 7 or 8WT. Nevertheless they're tempting to cast to and can give a great run for a few seconds (can always break 'em off). I'm not sure about tarpon on the beach in April but in south FL there's usually some tarpon somewhere nearby.
There's a shrimp run in that area in spring, so some shrimp flies, like a Borski Slider, would be good to have in addition to the usual Clousers. Small tarpon and peacocks can be found in the many canals. You can purchase a FL license by phone via an 800#.

I'm not too familiar with the Ft Lauderdale area but fished a good bit north of palm beach...
April will be a transitional month with the winter rolling out and summer fish rolling in. The snook will start roaming out of the back bays but less likely to see them on the beach since its still pretty cold, same for tarpon.
I think you'll still be on the winter side of things so that means pomps, jacks, ladies etc....in may it would be the other way around

i was going to start a thread on this. my parents have a place in ft. lauderdale right by port everglades and i may be going down sometime soon.

Thanks for all of the advice fella's. Much appreciated.

Gone_phishin, if I figure anything out I'll let you know.

I'll shoot you a PM I have some other info I can send you...

ill be heading down second week in june

Gone_Phishin wrote:
ill be heading down second week in june

Take that 8wt with ya.

Back