Bass Fishing at Disney World?

greenghost

greenghost

I'll be heading down in two weeks with family and friends. Unfortunately, the estrogen level is going to be through the roof -- 5 females, 1 male.

In order to keep my sanity, it was agreed on ahead of time that I will escape whenever possible to do some fishing, down a few steins of Becks at Epcott, and avoid downtown Disney (i.e. shopping) altogether.

Has anybody gone bass fishing at Disney World? Do they offer fly fishing? I haven't had a chance o check into the details yet.

Thanks guys.

green,
I don't know how close the bass fishin is to Disney but you ought to have some opportunities. I don't know that area since, when I visit FL, it's to saltwater fish. Near Orlando is the Kissimmi River chain and lake "walk on the water." You should be able to find a guide in the area. It's a great area to catch a trophy sized bass - esp if you're willing to use live golden shiners.

Here's a link to the guide service at the resort. http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/fishing.htm

I was planning a trip with some friends when we were down there on business a few years ago, but it fell through. I think you could probably find good fishing on the lakes in the resort. You could probably find better fishing and cheaper guides off the resort, but then you'll have additional travel to worry about.

Have fun Shrec!

double g- I have never fished there. I lived in Florida for 6 years and my experience is any lake that has been around for a few years if it is not treated with chemicals for weeds etc.. have tons of fish. I would bet you dont have to leave the resort and would almost be suprised if there isn't some kind of fishing activity on site. Good luck. Paul

I have fished at Disney several times. It is not cheap, but the guides will put you on fish, I have averaged 20 to 30 fish in a 4 hour trip depending on the time of year. The guides are frinedly and and knowledable and the equipment is very good. They do a lot of live bait fishing, which I have never done, rather I have fished with spinning and/or casting tackle. I did not check on fly fishing as I did not have my gear, but my guess is if you have your own gear they would accomodate. Fishing on the lakes at Disney is permitted only with there guide service, but you may fish the many canals at Fort Wilderness Campground on your own at no charge. The canal have plenty of fish also, especially near the mouths and junctions. Let me know if you need more info.

I fished the canals of Fort Wildnerness in 2000 and what an experience that was. I only fished 1 evening for about 4 hours and I caught 25 bass, the biggest being 22" 5lbs. I was using spinning equipment, but those fish were aggressive towards anything you moved fast. They were as far from finesse as any bass I've ever fished for.

I talked to a guy who went out on the lake that day and he said they were catching 6-10lbers all day. He said they fished the spots that are impossible to get to from land where it was completely surrounded by swamps. I personally fish around the bridges and any cover I could find. I'd say save your money and fish around Fort Wildnerness.

Heading down myself in Sept. I've done some checking into it, and as mentioned it can be pricy. BUT, you can fish the canels for free, no wading though. I face a similiar estrogen level and when they go to Downtown I get to fish, not a bad trade off. I planning on taking my 7wt and some poppers, may throw a streamer or two in there as well. Let me know how ya did.

Jh

I believe that a lot of those ponds around disney have been stocked with peacock bass. Could be fun!

GreenGhost,

Let me know how you make out down there. I have a conference down there early next summer. I may have to throw the rod in my suitcase.

I was just down in April. I was smoking a cig with some guy that said bass fishing was $250/4 hours. Too much for me. It was my first time there and loved every min of it...would've been alot more enjoyable without kids :-D

Heading to Disney World in about a month. Wondering if anyone has been there recently and can verify if everything said here is still applicable (it's an old thread...)

--is it still only possible to fish the lakes if you pay for a guided trip?

--is it still ok to fish the canals at Fort Wilderness on your own?

Bringing a few fly rods either way since we are heading to another part of Florida after Disney so hopefully I can get on some fish while at the resort...

Thanks in advance for any insight

Heath

Im also going to Disney in April on a trip with my daughter. Since she is 15 and will be there with her high school marching band, Upper Darby Marching Royals!!!! She will be with lots of friends and dad will be on the back burner!! This is my chance to get some fishing in while there. I might be content with fishing the Wilderness canals but if anyone has more information I'd love to talk to you!! I have no problem fishing spinning or fly!!!!!!!!

Bumping an old thread....anyone do this recently? I'm heading there 3rd week of May for Star Wars Weekends with the Fam and I'm thinking about bringing my 6 weight. I was there in 2007 and we paid for the guide. It was all shiner fishing but it was amazing. I caught a 10 lber in front of Epcot. I don't feel like paying for a guide and just wanna sneak off to a few spots to fish.

Not recently but I spin fished the canals with slugos about 10 years ago. It was sickening. caught 3 to 5 lb bass like sunnies with a handful of well over 5 lbers. caught dozens and dozens and dozens in a single afternoon. like you I was the fifth wheel on a group trip. No need for a guide when you can catch them all day long for what amounts to free. If you golf, the golf courses on Disney are fantastic as well.

Back