An hour before the rain

FlySwatter

FlySwatter

I got a quick hour of smallie fishing in today before the rain. The air temp was 70 degrees and the water felt cool (wet wading) so I guess the water tem was in the mid-upper 60s.

I caught 6 bass (a few under 10 inches, one that went about 14 inches and this nice one that was about 16 inches). All the bass came from one deep hole on the fly in the photo.

I also caught 2 big fallfish. The biggest was about 17 inches!

Attachments

• Tunckhannock Creek Bass - 8-14-2011.jpg
    Tunckhannock Creek Bass - 8-14-2011.jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 7
nice fish. looks a little chunky.

that is a nice smallie....bet he put up a good fight

Turkey: Yeah, definitely ate well.

Bassman: Great fight. I was using a fast 6 wt. (over lined) and 2x tippet. The pool it was in was fairly small so there wasn't a lot of room for it to show off, but I had to get it on the reel and tighten the screws. It was like an ally brawl. It was definitely stronger than a largemouth of the same size! And, there was not quit in it.

I'm looking for the next opportunity to hit some smallies….maybe Saturday AM.

Second the fighting power of a stream smallie. I routinely catch 4lb+ largemouth out of my favorite ponds and small lakes, but each time I do a float down the yough I get pretty darn excited for smallmouth. They can be so aggressive and pack a punch twice their size. The largest smallmouth I have caught on the yough this year was a 14", so that 16" must have been awesome.

Back