Winter Fishing advice

kmmichael51

kmmichael51

New to the forum, site and to fly fishing. Im looking for advice on fishing the Little Bushkill At the Boy Scout Camp. im going to be heading there in the next few days. i will be using pheasant Tails in size 14 and San Juan Worms. Any suggestions on what else i could use would be helpful.this is a natural trout stream with supplemental stocking it was also just stocked this past week

Thanks

pheasant Tails in size 14
FWIW - I've found smaller sizes work better for me in Dec - Mar in other locations, like sz 18 & 20.

Don't know the bushkill, but if it has stoneflies...they are relatively active in cold weather.
Also some big streamers to fish slow and deep.

Agree with the above for winter, the extreme sizes work better for me....either very big or very small. Hatches would likely be midges or bwo's (both very small). PTs do well imitating the bwo's, but in smaller sizes (I'd even say 18-24 nymphs).

If you're talking about Resica Falls, the water is really tannic and seems to freeze up pretty quick below the falls. You might have a tough time finding some really fishable water. Pink San Juans and as others said, go small on nymphs and midges (like 22 small)

Low an slow. But I don't agree with super small nymphs in the winter. The trout want to exert as little energy as possible to get a meal when the water is real cold. An if they are more prone to take a bigger meal. Having said that, I also with fish a big stonefly or the like failed with a super small midge or caddis larve. I agree with the buggers tho. Dead drifted threw runs our quarter away an slow strips. Just my .02$

Thanks for advice gonna go check it out probally tom. cold and windy today.gonna be fishing above the falls. cabin fever is setting in. will post back after i go

luv this site

Try high sticking a streamer slow through the deeper runs.

what type of streamer and what size would be good

Different people will have a size preference, I usually try a size 10 or 12 first and see what happens. The streamer I tie on first is one I tie with pheasant hen feathers and a sandy tan rabbit fur head and body. Use a heavily weighted one so it gets to the bottom and so you can "feel" it as your drifting it through. If a natural color doesn't grab they're attention give em something with a little flash.

sunglasses... no leaves + snow on ground + clear winter air = extra glare

already have them, fish them with an indicator haha

No sun glasses in these conditions: Bright sun, lots of snow and water leads to "SNOW BLIND"

Snow has mostly all melted here looking to go tom morning before dentist app and the rain

Early black stone flies #14 nymph and #18 dries.

Back