Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What conditions make for a good spinnerfall?

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I do make sense out of it, and agree to a given point. I just think it is a poor predictor of spinner fall for a given evening.

Several days worth of poor hatches falling all at once will still outnumber 1 day's worth of a strong hatch.

If a hatch has 10 days of spinner falls, only 1 or 2 need to be especially successful to ensure the next generation. I think you overestimate their success rate. Well more than half of the bugs may fail at their 1 mission, and that number can vary greatly year to year.

Like many other species, the mayfly's evolutionary strategy is overkill. i.e. a huge number of bugs in a short time period, each capable of producing a huge number of offspring, but a relatively pitiful individual success rate.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 8:58

From Johnstown, PA
YEP!!! That's what i mean when i say there may be a huge hatch of duns for several days and then , the adults coming back to mate may be sporadic but enough to ensure that some eggs make it. The reverse is possible too , in fact i've seen it , the Cahill hatch is often slow/sporadic over several days and then there's a huge spinnerfall. Have you ever noticed that different species of spinners do a different "mating dance" than others? Some do the up and down dance and some do the back and forth. LOL figure that one out.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 9:28

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Ok, I'm getting confused.

The original question: What conditions favor a strong spinner fall? Presumably the purpose is to increase one's chances of timing it right.

You hold that a good hatch of duns makes a good spinner fall, but then also agree that local weather conditions can have a great effect on the strength, timing, duration, etc. of the spinner fall.

I don't think that gets anyone any closer to a usable truth. What we want to know is which weather conditions cause what?

FWIW, the one thing we are all agreeing on is wind. Wind is a bad sign for your chance of getting a good spinner fall that day.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 10:15

From Johnstown, PA
I'm not an entomologist.......but i did stay at a Holiday in once. Wind would be a good thing to avoid if looking for a spinnerfall , i agree with that 100%. How about humidity? Personally i think bugs like high humidity , but not rain , so high humidity without rain.....????

Posted on: 2011/2/15 8:50

From Johnstown, PA
How about a partly cloudy , windless day where it seems like it's gonna rain all day but doesn't?

Posted on: 2011/2/15 16:40

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
149 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com