Wading stability in a pinch

JG63

JG63

When you're up to your waist in a faster riffle than anticipated, plunge your rod tip in the water downstream from your position. It adds a third point of contact and helps to stabilize an otherwise "oh sh!t" scenario. Learned that one on the Yellowstone.

Hmmm, something doesn't seem quite right here. Just doesn't seem like it'd have the pull to stabilize a human. But next time I'm out I'll give it a try.

Certainly, turning sideways to the water helps a lot, and my first thought was that in the process of putting the rod in the water downstream of you, you turned sideways to do it. But on second thought I should have assumed you knew that one.

I'll be too deep in some fast riffles this coming weekend and I'll try it out and see if I can feel a difference.

I've actually done this before with a spin rod while trout fishing a while back and it worked. It kind of acted like a rudder for me is the best way to describe it.

If it fails to stabilize you, then at least you get a new rod out of the deal. :cool:

trust me-He knows what he is talking about.
Been there-done that on yellowstone,Madison etc…..
Works so well I stopped carrying a wading staff-and I waded right to top of waders in places[over in others..
Need be just use rod butt to save your assets.
(sorry pat-]lol

JG63 wrote:
When you're up to your waist in a faster riffle than anticipated,

you're risking catastrophe

It does work I am not sure why but a steelhead guide in Ohio told me about this and it did help.

Just to clarify Gents, standing "sideways" is a must anyway for stability. Putting the rod tip slightly underwater on the downstream side (one may have to switch the rod to the other hand) is all that is required with no need to make contact with the streambed. Obviously, thrusting it straight down is risking breakage. It just gives that extra level of security not unlike a tightrope walker's balance bar. Hope this helps- JG

I did understand and was just trying to add humor.

I don't carry a staff but have fashioned them from stream side branches many a times.

Its a little outside of my book lern'en but I believe just the resistance of the rod against the current is like putting a hand on the ground. Even iffin yer fly pole don't touch the stream bottom.

I don't think the idear is to push yerself up with the tiptop.

But the lesson here is not about what weight rod will balance a 200 pound man. Its about wading limits. Crossing a swift stream in deep water is dangerous. Bumpy water means the bottom is uneven, Wading above the crotch in anything but still water is dangerous without a staff. Especially when alone.

My advice and what I do is when the water feels too pushy, I back out the way I came.

Back