Switch rod leader formula

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I cant find much online for leader formulas for switch rods. My rod is a Rainshadow 10'8" 7wt. and I'll mostly be using it for bass fishing on reservoirs or larger rivers. I found one formula and made some alterations so that it worked with what I actually have to work with. Tell me if this sounds like it would work for an all purpose switch rod leader.

36" 25lb / 24" 20lb / 18" 15lb / 18" 12lb/ 12" 1x / 12" 2x / 24" 3x

I'm using maxima for the first four sections and mono tippet the rest of the way out. At this point it is 12'. If I want to add 4x or 5x I can just add on from there. I just made this tonight so it hasn't been tested...just looking for opinions or other formulas.

I built that same rod a few years ago (7WT Rainshadow Switch). To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what line to use with it. I started with my regular 7WT F line and this was okay but really too light. I experimented with heavier shooting heads and they seemed to work a bit better (esp with a two hand casting style) but I'm still trying to find a good match. Some folks like the Scandi type tapers for switch rods. I think it depends a lot on the casting style you use and the size of the flies. In the meantime, it's a deadly rod for high stick nymphing in big trout streams. :)

Anyway, I realize you asked about leaders. I like a simpler set-up for river bass and usually stick to something like this (I don't like light tippets for bass and rarely go lighter than 12lb test):

BUTT: 3' of 30-40lb

MID: 3' 0f 20lb

TIPPET: 2' of 12-15lb

Fishidiot wrote:
I built that same rod a few years ago (7WT Rainshadow Switch). To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what line to use with it. I started with my regular 7WT F line and this was okay but really too light. I experimented with heavier shooting heads and they seemed to work a bit better (esp with a two hand casting style) but I'm still trying to find a good match. Some folks like the Scandi type tapers for switch rods. I think it depends a lot on the casting style you use and the size of the flies. In the meantime, it's a deadly rod for high stick nymphing in big trout streams. :)

Anyway, I realize you asked about leaders. I like a simpler set-up for river bass and usually stick to something like this (I don't like light tippets for bass and rarely go lighter than 12lb test):

BUTT: 3' of 30-40lb

MID: 3' 0f 20lb

TIPPET: 2' of 12-15lb

Here is a great article on choosing line for a switch red. I would estimate for 7wt 450gr +/-. It depends on what you want to do with the rod. Outbound short for long casts like in the surf (your rod is probably too light for that, though). A scandi short versa-tip can do a lot of things.

good to know. I did one outing last fall with this rod and caught 3 nice sized largemouth on 4x tippet. I guess I could just get rid of the tippet and use 12lb mono at the end. As far as the line goes, I'm using Orvis switch line 7WF. Its the only switch line I've owned so I have nothing to compare it too. I'm happy with it.

Are you over head casting with it or two handed? And what kind of flies are you chucking? I don't usually go more than 9-10 feet on a leader. And I use 9ft 0x or 1x tapered leaders with clousers.

For those with rainshdow switch blanks, Batson has come up with a line for these... Scandi style welded to a running line.
the 7wt (IF-1087) line is LN1087= 27 foot/335 grains.
This line would allow you to use light poly leaders or standard length mono leaders up to 15 ft.

Back