Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Staying warm.

From Apollo
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Quote:

live2fish wrote:
How about keeping your feet dry? No holes in the waders but my feet are soaked.

I would say your waders have a slow leak, or they just aren't waterproof. I never experience nearly that much condensation in my cheapie cabelas pair. The seams leaked like a sieve after a season or two, but I put that loon UV repair stuff on all of the seams, and they've kept me bone dry for four trips so far. I was stupid to trust them to keep me dry in the frigid salmon last weekend, but they did the job. I get some dampness, but I kept the wool socks on afterward, and they were dry in about 5 minutes... so it wasn't much.

That might be but wearing street shoes my feet sweat to the point where my socks are wet. I have two pairs of waders, one for summer that's lightweight and one for winter that's neoprene. My feet are wet in both.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 20:06

Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
I heard some good advice on another board... spray your feet with spray antipersperant... moisture just traps the cold. If your feet don't sweat, they'll be warmer. Plus you'll smell fresh after you get home and your wife won't complain about that nasty, BO/neoprene smell lol.

I forgot about that. I do that as well. Even when hunting. It really helps. Another thing I avoid is dressing too soon before leaving for either a hunting or fishing trip. The last thing you want to do is sweat before heading out into the cold. I always use layers and add them only when they are needed and almost everything I wear is ventable or has a zipper. Lately it's been cold enough you wouldn't think you'd sweat and I still find a way to do it. Zippers save me.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 20:42

From Scranton
I go with a pair of light weight knee high wading socks, then a pair of light to medium weight wool socks (nothing too thick), and then a pair of fleece lined neoprene socks. They do a great job keeping my feet warm, and the extra neoprene is added waterproofing. Just keep the layers on the thinner side, so your boots don't get so tight that its uncomfortable to walk around.

Posted on: 2008/11/22 3:46

From Lancaster
"I guess it is had to explain: doubly hard without getting all mystical and macho about it. There's just something about honestly encountering conditions as they are, not beating them, but slipping in neatly and feeling more of less at home."
Gierach

Neoprene socks help too!

Posted on: 2008/11/22 10:08

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about honestly meeting the elements. I do understand what it's like to be out in the cold when your nose hairs are stiff and your gloves freeze to everything you touch. When the snow makes that crunching sound it only makes when the temp is below zero and how the air enters your lungs sharply. When the animals you feed are just that much more hungry and happy to see you, especially when you replace ice with water. Honestly, winter is just plan cold, not evil, just cold. It was about 10 degrees all day today. Too cold for November and my sons heading North Monday for Steelhead. Hopefully it will warm up just a bit.

Posted on: 2008/11/22 23:23

From Harrisburg, PA
I saw a hunting show last week and the host would put on a Thermacare heat wrap around her lower back and kidneys. The explanation was that by keeping your core warm with the wrap, your body will be able to devote more energy to your extremities, therefore keeping your feet and hads warmer.

I have not tried this yet, but I think it is a valid theory. I've had a similar experience by sticking Hot Hands packs in my overalls while hunting.

Posted on: 2008/12/7 13:06

Quote:

acristickid wrote:
For me, seems the feet are the primary issue. I really have NOT been comfortable while wearing 2 pairs of socks.

Any tips you can share on staying warm out there?

Paul,

I wear regular socks and I am fine. What kind of waders are you wearing? I have bootfoot neoprenes for the winter that are one shoe size bigger. Since nothing is cut off I retain more heat in my waders. The guys I use to go steelheading with all wore stocking foot and didn't last all that long. THey were all complaining of cold feet and I was fine.

Granted stockingfoot are lighter and they say are easier for hiking longer distances. But what the hell is the difference if your feet are freezing cold?

Posted on: 2008/12/8 17:04

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Just to add my 2 cents in on this...

I always wear 2 pair of socks, one liner one wool or smart wool, even fleece on occasion. I've never had issues wearing two socks, as long as I wear one liner, one thicker sock over. Now two thick socks, I absolutely hate. The trick for me seems to be that the liner sock is thinner than the outer sock.

The liner sock should be synthetic, NOT cotton. Both of these layers pull the moisture away from your feet. The outer wool will wick moisture out but in the neoprene bootie it's got no where to go. Even though I wear breathable waders, the neoprene feet are not breathable, hence damp socks when I remove my boots. Now they're not SOAKED, but they are damp on the outside, inside I find I'm usually dry---down to the liner.

Acristick---check out the CoolMax liner sox from Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabelas. They are very comfortable and I've found that they keep my feet dry and cool. Then put a pair of wool or smart wool on top.

I've never had issues wearing two socks. The thin liner sock is synthetic, NEVER cotton as that will absorb moisture and thus keep your feet colder.

Regarding the more vs. less air space in the boots...I prefer more room than less as it was recommended to me by the local fly shop I frequent. My boots are up one size so that I can wear two socks and also so that I'm not cramming my feet/socks into boots. Similar to the concept I'd suppose to why tight clothing in the winter is colder.

The warmers that go inside boots do sound interesting, that might be something to try in the near future.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 21:28

From Upper Saucon, PA
When we fish the Erie Tribs it is usually right before the dead of winter, wind blowing off the lake, snow flurries hitting your face, and colder than a witches you know what. We layer up and wear a waterproof jacket. One pair of socks always seems to work even if you stand in water all day. I also found a pair of lightweight type rubber work gloves that keep me warm enough but allow me to strip line, and reach into the water to release a fish. If the wind is whipping too hard to fish right off the lake or there are other folks there on the stream we simply move to a spot upstream that has fish in it and has some protection from the wind. If all else fails the moment always seems to get warmer once you have a fish pounding a fly, ripping up or downstream. At that moment you forget about the weather and you only have to feel the cold until you catch and release the next one.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 22:46

From upstate ny and pa border
Cabelas underliner socks under a pair of hunting socks.
I found that ordering one size up on your wading boots will help with circulation and staying warm. No matter what the salesman says LOL
Use the same principle for deer hunting boots.
Good luck

Posted on: 2009/2/11 19:39

From Lititz/Huntingdon
The kids gave me a pair of these for Christmas. "SealSkinz" fleece-lined chill blocker socks. The work for me.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 15:00

From Greensburg, PA
I got those and the gloves, though mine aren't fleece lined..but they are warm and dry...love 'em

Posted on: 2009/2/23 17:14

From Lititz/Huntingdon
The gloves are next on my list. The stuff is not cheap but well worth the $$. I have only used the socks with my waders so far but you can bet I'll use them for wet wading with my wading boots.

Posted on: 2009/2/24 10:07

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

FiveWeight wrote:
The stuff is not cheap but well worth the $$.

That's why when someone asks, "what do you want for your birthday (Christmas)?" That's what you tell them. I only asked for gloves and got both...My mother encourages my fishing way more than my wife. But then, she no longer has to live with me.

Posted on: 2009/2/24 10:13

From florida
Smart wool socks are great. Cabelas sells fleece wading socks that work well.Underarmor stuff is great as well.Layers ,layers, layers that the trick or just wait till it warms up.lol

Posted on: 2009/2/24 10:43

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
54 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com