mending

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Here is a part of my fly fishing arsenal that I know I need some work on. I can cast forwards and back, roll cast, double hall (kind of), water haul and toss in some curves. I know that in air mends can help, especially after watching Dave R. cast at the JAM, but mends during the drift are a place I'm sure I need improvement. I do them, and get some results, but I know there are many and specific situations to use them. So go for it, teach me ohh wise ones about mending.

Ryan

ryan, there`s a great book to read about that its called " slack line strategies for fly fishing " by john judy

Tom Gamber gave me a nice on-stream lesson one evening. I learned a lot that evening, but its tough to communicate by text.

i dont know if im right or if im wrong but i mend to try to keep my fly(nymph) moving just a tad slower than the current up stream slows down stream speeds up also i use mends to keep excess slack and bellies out of my line im jsut bad a detecting strikes with an indie ......i prefer to highstick or euro/czech the curly ques work nice fishing dead upstream dont know if this helps and if anyone sees me giving bad advice please correct me

Tie on a high floating, highly visible dry fly and keep working at it until you achieve the longest possible drag-free drift.

Apply floatant (mucilin works better) to your leader to within a few inches of your dry, or to your strike indicator if you're nymphing. It's really a matter of trial and error, using your reasoning abilities to determine what needs to be done to resolve any drag issues. If someone claims to have a one size fits all system for mending, they're lying.

For streamers, I like to toss into cover and throw a hulking downstream mend to keep it as close to the cover for as long as possible. Also to miss tons of fish so I can hoot and hollar about something. If the water's deep or very fast, I'll mend up then down, to achieve a nice sinkrate before I start the swing. That said, usually I grip and rip and forget about what my fly line is doing.

A huge key to mending is to "shoot" the mends with your wrist. Not your arm. A fast wrist snap is key to good efficient mending. In air mends are done by arm motions. As your forward cast rolls out move the rod to place the cast else where.

Back