Icy rod guides?

T

tieoneon

I am a beginning fly fisherman and just the other day did my first fishing in below freezing temperatures. I was wondering if there might be a trick to keeping the rod guides from freezing up with ice?

There is no trick to keeping them from freezing. If water clings to the guides or between the guides and the rod shaft, you will get ice when temps are that low. One thing that helps is to keep the water from clinging, and this can be helped by carrying a tube of chapstick. With your finger, wipe off and small amount and rub it into the guides near the top and the tiptop. I have heard of people using cooking spray and I think there are commercial repellants you could use. Something tells me Loon makes something for this purpose.

Thanks for the advice I will have to try that. I was also thinking of checking with loon. Thanks again

Loon does make an ice off. There is another, Stanley's Ice Off
I believe.

I've been fishing consistantly throughout Jan-March and am also a beginner. If your nymphing, you can make your leader longer so that you have less of the fly line on the water. On really cold days I'll sometimes go to a 12' leader with 2' tippet just for that reason. I get less guide freeze-ups doing that, but it makes casting a little more difficult.

I have the best solution of all....stay home and tie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back