high dirty water nymphing

H

hof52

When the water gets high and dirty after a rain what are some of your strategies for productive nymphing?
thanks
adam

Try a beadhead Walts Worm, tied real shaggy, with a copper, brass or gold bead.

Don't go too light on the tippet if you're a fishing a stream that has some big trout. I've had trout hit these hard and pop 5x leader instantly. It's better to use 4x leader.

Nymph with a black streamer!

Fish on the edge in the slack water

^^ ditto and eddies, ive caught some of my biggest fish in water up and off color, use any worm or crippled terrestrial pattern. rainbows normally go on a feeding frenzy in those conditions

I'll use a size 8 or 10 fox squirrel bead head ( any one will work, I just have good success with that one) on the point. A size 14 bead head for a dropper. I concentrate on the very edges of where the high water is, and in the eddies is a really good area to search. Make sure to have some flash in whatever flies use decide to use. Any obstructions that used to be on the bank are now trout lies, with the water being so heavy don't just cast once or twice to these or any areas work them over hard. The right drift is difficult to get in high water, plus reduced vision for the trout also hampers our efforts so I always give a spot a couple of more casts than I usually would.

Use some of your normal nymphs usually in bigger sizes. thats usually what i do. also streamer fishing, throw the streamer to the banks. If the stream has wild fish, usually in the high off color water can produce some of the biggest fish in the stream

Where is this higher dirty water that you speak of? Please burn away.....

I was interested in this in case the very small streams i fish in cameron/potter county get a bunch of rain before one of the weekends i plan on heading up.......

Small streams and dirty water can be a boon. You can stand right on top of the fish and dapple or jig likely lies. Use dark objects, big and small.

i no it could tempt me back to my ways of a number 10 hook and redworm lol

Back