Help Cleaning Cork

greenghost

greenghost

Does anybody know a good way to clean a cork handle? I have an old Sage GFL that I was thinking about selling. It's in pretty good shape, but after 20 years of light use, the handle needs some serious cleaning. Just using a spray cleanser like 409 doesn't work all that well. Any tips? Thanks in advance guys.

I've always used a cleaner like 409 or Simplegreen and one of those abrasive dish washing pads. It should do the job.

Softscrub (with bleach in it) and a sponge - comes out like new.

Very fine sandpaper. Cleans it and makes it feel like velvet.

whats the length and wieght of the rod?
what do you want for it?

skiltonian
It's a GFL 586 (5 weight, 8'6") I was hoping to get at least $100 for it on ebay. It's old but in good shape considering it was used off and on for 20 years. Great casting. Medium action.

I'm just starting to thin out my overstocked, underused arsenal of rods. I'm also possibly going to sell a Sage 9' 7 wt RPL plus. Not sure yet.

Everyone,
Thanks for the tips! I'll post what worked best.

I've never cleaned any of my cork before, I like the experienced look on my rods. Your post got me curious so I picked a rod which is close to 15 years old and the cork was really filthy. I used a damp soft sponge and Soft Scrub, ours was the regular type without bleach. I just cleaned the cork lightly and then rinsed if off. The cork is outside drying in the sun now but it seemed like it really worked well, not as clean as new but a huge difference from when I started. The Soft Scrub with bleach may work even better but I didn't have any to try today. Good luck with your rod.

I'm with David on this, fine grit sandpaper will do wonders. Velvet to the touch is an excellent description, it's like having a brand new grip again.

My process is to fill the gaps and voids with wood putty, let dry and then sand. Clean the excess off with a damp cloth, let dry and put Pledge or furnature polish on it. I've been doing this for at least 5 years, maybe longer and have seen no negative impacts.

SoftScrub with Bleach worked like a charm. I can actually see the rings of cork on the handle. The cork almost looks new. Thanks!

Earlier today I tried Soft Scrub and now that the cork is dry I am really impressed with the results. Next time I'll have to try the Soft Scrub with bleach. Couldn't be any easier and worked really well.

FishOn............now everyone on stream will think you're inexperienced........jus kiddin but i like the worn look too.

osprey, I may have to sell that rod now that I washed off all those years of experience. At least we learned how to clean cork if you want to sell a used rod.

FishOnCamp wrote:
osprey, I may have to sell that rod now that I washed off all those years of experience. At least we learned how to clean cork if you want to sell a used rod.

FOC, you are correct, my understanding is the karma that builds up in a fly rod is held in the patina of the cork grip. That's why many of the old-timers catch so many fish. Now you have to start all over with that rod, or sell it I guess.

The same is true in the sweat band of your fishing hat. Hopefully you did wash your hat too!! If so, your in for a long (and fishless) season ahead.

;-)

use rubbing alcohol on a rag ,and wipe handle-second this then seal with amour all and will stay new looking for eons.

Baking soda/water paste applied with an old toothbrush works pretty well. And it's organic and natural and all that stuff..

Also, you can use whatever is left over to brush your teeth, polish silver jewelery, as underarm deodorant, keep flowers in a vase fresher longer and also relieve heartburn.

I don't think SoftScrub does any of these things..

when restoring a rod, I use a mild dish detergent and a plastic dish "scrubby". after it dries, I like to put a coat of carnuba car wax on it. I also wax all my rods at least once a year, making sure I get under the guides. let it dry and polish it off, makes em like new again and gives a little protection. good winter fun!

not sure if i would try the armor all , that might get your grip slippy

The SoftScrub is the best. It cleans without removing the cork.

Yep, RLeep2 came up with the cleaner I use. Good ole Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. I don't do it very often but that's what works for me.

Back