fishing a two weight

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

Got a two weight from here on the forum, casts great it's a fun rod. Went out with it today for the first time, caught eight brookies and promply lost all of them. The ninth was the heart breaker, at least 15"s of sweet brookie in a three foot wide stream. Finally got a few to hand as it started raining. I'm thinking it's the amount of pressure that I'm putting on them? The rod does alot of bouncing around I'm definetly not used to this as I've never fished with one before. Any of you two weight users have any advise? Or did I just have a bad day out? I do feel as though I've just been schooled. :oops: Thanks, Jack

I have a St. Croix "Avid" 7'6" 2 weight. I use it mainly for fishing low and clear water with smaller flies ie. Tricos, BWO's etc. It sounds like you just did not get a good hookset. You must remember it's not a 5 weight and does not have the power of a bigger rod. It may take some time but you will get used to it. I have landed trout up to 16 inches on my 2 weight. It REALLY is alot of fun! Hang in there and enjoy the pleasures of ultralight flyfishing. :)

I have the same issues with my "fairy wand" as a friend calls it.

What I have done to adjust is once I set the hook (by lifting the rod tip only) I then after having pressure on it make a couple wrist jerks on a low angle to firmly embed the hook point.

You may find using barbless hooks to hold fish longer but they will also lose a few too when the line goes slack after a tussle.

I was thinking about slack getting in the line while the fish is doing its dance,but the dang thing is so soft.All my hooks get debarbed before going in the vise so I've already gotten used to the ones that get the long release.Maurice I will try the wrist action the next time out, I'm hoping to meet #9 one day. You're right WTT I was fishing a 2 and thinking a 4, a four weight is the lightest rod I have. I did not think there would be that much of a difference. I was wrong, but I've done that before. :lol: Thanks for the insight guys, I'm all ears for any other.

Try holding the rod more parallel to the water.

I have found that if I sharpen my hook, it holds the fish better. I just lift the tip, and try to set the hook downstream, then I keep my rod high, the line tight and play the fish.
If you do get any slack especially while using small hook, you will loose the fish.
It just takes a little practice. :) You will get it.

I love my 2 wt. but it took some getting used to, and I really only use it for dry flies. It is too slow for nymphing, and I couldn't get a good hookset when I tried it for nymphing.

I've been thinking about this and the fish I did not lose I had plenty of room to hold the rod up and move it around as things played out. I played them as I always have with a 4 weight in cover as tight as it was on that creek and that did not work. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't lose fish, just not every one I hook like that. It seems to me that this type of rod will challenge me in a scenario that I'm not used to being I guess you could say "freshly" challenged in. Yes, I curse the tree gods regularly but not as often as the beginning. Knee pads save the knees and chins, stalking gets me closer to the spot. I'm looking forward to figuring out my new rod, cause man it sure does make a five to seven inch brookie in a trickle of a creek feel so much larger. :-D I'll be more attentive to the points of my hooks and I'm sure slack in the line is when they got away whheff I tried to stop it but I did not get it together. Zen, I had a green beetle on, thanks for the info. on the nymphs. But you know I'm gonna try it anyway, not that I don't believe you. :p

I have no experience with lines under 3 weight so I will address hooks. Some hooks are just sharper and "sticky" than others. Some time in 1995 or so, a Harrisburg area Walmart was clearing out 25-packs of Mustad 94840 hooks for a buck a pack. I bought everything they had. I noticed that some of the # 14 hooks were no where near as sharp as others. I avoid using them but if I do, I make sure to sharpen them. Even then, they are not that "sticky."

In addition to sharpening, on soft temper hooks such as Mustad, I like to bend the point up a bit. On harder temper hooks such as Tiemco, this could break the hook, so care is warranted.

I fish two weights with dries for brookies a lot, but because I dont fish with heavier gear, I dont know if you tend to lose more fish with the two weight. Id be fine with it if this is the case: Im only gonna let em go anyhow. maybe you can bring line in faster with your free hand? (I am right handed and pull line in with my left hand with a fish on... Could maybe get a bigger loop of line with left paw)

I used to lose a ton of brookies on my 2wt. Some of it was adjusting to the rod. However, I found that the fly had a bigger impact for me while using the 2 wt.
I switched over to 2x fine dry fly hooks, even for my nymphs. Then I would smoosh the barb too. IMO the hooks penetrate easier and get the fish to the bend of the hook.

you guys sugget that the same hookset pull sends less force to the fly with a 2 wt... I think that makes sense. That might be a good thing about a 2wt in brookie fishing: less likely pull a really small brookie, which may hit a good sized fly, right out of the water with a 2 wt versus a heavier rod?

Strip and lift the rod. I have a 5'10 and a 6'6 2wt. And that's how I set with them.

I fish with an Orvis 7.5' Superfine Trout Bum 1-WT that I recently had customized with a new cork grip and reel seat, replacing the original cork grip with slip rings.

This by far my favorite rod to fish with. I have been fortunate to land wild browns from 3.5" to 14" and stocked trout up to 22" with this rod. The large arbor reel is key for landing larger fish.

It definitely took some getting used to when I first started casting with it, but I eventually got the hang of it.

Fishing ultra-light is always a blast, no matter what size fish you hook.

I am sure that I miss my share of fish but the ones that do get hooked always put a nice bend in the rod! Most times, I typically do not set the hook until I feel a fish tugging on my fly, after missing many fish by trying to set the hook when I see the fish take the fly. Apparently, the hand really is quicker than the eye...

fly-n-lion
[/url][/img]

fly-n-lion
[/url][/img]

Alright, good stuff guys. Thanks, F-n-L how well does that large arbor balance with a one weight? Not too large or heavy?

Actually, not too bad. When I sent the rod back to Orvis to have the cork grip w/ rings replaced with the new Superfine "Touch" grip and reel seat, I told them that I would be using the Large Arbor Trout -I reel. I asked them to test with the same and to advise if they would recommend a different reel. Other than suggesting that I try out the New Mirage series reel,, they were ok with the balance.

I like the new reel seat much better because the cork / rings setup resulted in my reel coming loose too often. No longer a problem with this grip. Other than the 6 weeks that it took to get my favorite rod back in my hand, I am quite pleased with the work. That, and they only charged me $75 for the everything!!! Much better than the $495 price tag on the new Superfine Touch.

Cool, nothing like having your favorite rod made even better for you. Thanks.

Back