New Pennsylvania Atlas

• Thread starter JakesLeakyWaders
  • Start date
JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

There are two new atlasses out, one for Western Pa and another for Eastern Pa. " Eastern Pennsylvania all Outdoors Atlas & Field Guide", and "Western Pennsylvania all outdoors Atlas &field Guide". This atlas, or the two of them are like the DeLorme atlas on steroids. I had to get one at least now for eastern Pa. They run around 30 bucks if you find one. All streams are color coded for natural trout reproduction, Class A wild trout streams, Wilderness trout streams and approved trout water so browsing the map requires less referencing from other sources shows public private land boundaries, SGL's , Parking, and points of interest. This atlas also has a larger scale than the Delorme for more detail. Lots of info hunting canoeing you name it. The only downside in my oppinion, is that contour lines were weak, elevations hard to read, and also some of the stream names were also hard to read.
I would say If they could have darkened the print on the stream names on the maps and had the entire state in one book,....Oh, and eliminated the 1/4 inch overlap at the seem this would be the perfect passenger seat companion.

This?

http://www.sportsmansconnection.com/atlases/alloutdoors/pa/e/

To keep on the DL I sent Jay L a PM at 7:00 P.M.

I read about these on another website and they certainly sound interesting. Do you know if they are available in any stores in PA? I'll probably end up buying them, but I'd like to take a look at them before I shell out the bucks.

Overall, do you think they are a DeLorme beater?

Looks very cool, thanks for the recommendation.

I like my atlas, it will be hard to part with the DeLorme. It is a great tool for me. I will probably have both with me but I really like how the streams are color coded, and some regulations listed in the new book.

One thing I noticed was that it listed Butler Creek and Little Butler Creek, in Northeastern PA as streams with natural trout reproduction occuring along its entire length. I had lived on the property where these streams met and fished them regularly ten or more years ago. I can attest that although it was not listed as an approved trout stream when I lived there, I would catch dozens of wild brook trout every time I walked out the kitchen door. Also, I had never in 6 years seen another person fish in the stream. Although some DCNR trudged through our property to electroshock it, only yards from the road of course. But anyway it was colorcoded on the map correctly which tells me it has to be some what accurate.

My DeLorme is old and beat up, pages falling apart, etc. Figured it was time for a new one, and asking for Christmas. Might have to change it to one of these (or both, actually). The only retailer listed on the website is Cabela's, is that where you got yours?

As for the wild trout, I feel pretty confident they just used the fish commission data from the lists. Thats not a cut, the fish commission lists are pretty good. I know of a few omissions, but with 1000's of streams, thats expected....

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
One thing I noticed was that it listed Butler Creek and Little Butler Creek, in Northeastern PA as streams with natural trout reproduction occuring along its entire length. I had lived on the property where these streams met and fished them regularly ten or more years ago. I can attest that although it was not listed as an approved trout stream when I lived there, I would catch dozens of wild brook trout every time I walked out the kitchen door. Also, I had never in 6 years seen another person fish in the stream. Although some DCNR trudged through our property to electroshock it, only yards from the road of course. But anyway it was colorcoded on the map correctly which tells me it has to be some what accurate.

About the PFBC lists:

"Approved" streams means they stock it with hatchery trout. It has nothing to do with presence of wild trout.

The "reproduction" list contains all the stream sections where they've found wild trout populations.

I still haven't found a place to buy these atlases in Centre Cty.

Did'nt see it in the South Hills Barnes&Noble today.

I did however look at the Farmers Almanac and it predicted a cold winter. (with a snowstorm for early January) It also predicted and warmer and drier spring and summer. Here's to that being wrong.

I was sending " PM's " to reply as where to get the New Atlasses.
But so I don't have to keep sending out PM's, I'll just say that I saw them at Wal-Mart and Gander Mtn. I think they are comparable to the Delorme, although not so sure about the binding of the book. Maybe I looked at a certain page too many times. I have gone through about 4 Delorme Atlas and Gazetters though, from way back when the cover was yellow and red or somethin' like that. I currently have the Delorme as well. The latest version of it has road names and better defined game land boundaries. Of course I still have to dig out the oldest version of the Delorme to find State road names and township road names, example "SR4008" or "T694" which is what game commission always has in regs book for boundaries of special regs. areas.

Example:

"From Confluence of Codorus Ck W Branch downstram to 0.64 km down stream from SR3082 (Porters Rd)"

This message is for troutbert.

I understand that approved waters are waters that are approved for stocking. I also know that most approved waters are typically not up to snuff as far as sustainability goes. What I should have said was , "Although these streams were not stocked streams, they did, on the other hand, have decent numbers and sizes of naturally reproducing wild Brook Trout and were correctly categorized and color coded as such in the atlas."

Of coarse, almost every inch of this water is on posted land. I can say that living in a rural community on a piece of land where two small trout streams merge has its rewards. It is also something not to be taken for granted. I had spent hours and hours quietly watching those trout feeding, resting, spawning, while laying on that small farm bridge in my backyard. And I had also walked miles and miles through the woods along those creeks. If I could go back a dozen years or so I think I might have spent more time fishing. I now live far from there and all I want to do is fish and I spend hours driving instead of fishing.

The first part was for Troutbert. The second paragraphed came after a few minutes reflecting on the past. I never paid mind to the posted signs up there, I knew most of the land owners on my road (only a few).

Back