LIMESTONE LEGENDS

Acristickid

Acristickid

Anyone have a review of this book? I just ordered it be sent to my local library. Allegheny Co. has an awesome library system.

I beleive it discusses the cicada "hatches" from actual guys who have been able to fish it multiple times. Though it might be interesting to hear what they say about it.

Book Description:

Since 1947, the members of The Fly Fishers' Club of Harrisburg have met to discuss, examine, and celebrate the sport fly fishing. Now, for the first time, a treasury of these papers is published, offering anglers the information, tips, and techniques once available to only a privileged few.

I have a copy. It has been several years since I read it. I recall that it was very informative...I learned alot about FF history as well as some techniques...but sort of text bookish dry reading.

David- good to know. Maybe I'll pick up a nugget or two on cicadas or perhaps another esoteric flyfishing technique.

Paul

The book is a compilation of talks given at the annual Harrisburg Fly Fishers Club dinner, plus a bit of history of the flyfishers involved in that tradition.

The thing that amazes me is the level of scholarship and ability displayed by this group. There are of course, several stories about Fox and Marinaro. These sections alone are worth the read, especially if you have read A Modern Dry Fly Code and In the Ring of the Rise or if you have any familiarity with this intriguing pair of fishing buddies. Beyond that there are still some great sections, the cicada chapter is particularly memorable. It's probably the most "textbook" of all the chapters, but it will amaze you with how far some flyfishers will go to learn about bugs.

This is a really great book, one of the better ones about PA trout fishing. I particularly like the section on the history of Big Spring Creek, by a guy who grew up near the stream. I met this guy along the stream one time and got to hear some these stories first hand.

Good deal. Looking forward to reading it.

For those of you in Allegheny Co. the library is great place for fly fishing books. The library system is cool because it connects the local library's with some bigger one like the Carnegie. They will even send a book say in Monroeville to the South Side library for you to pick up.

Do a search and see for yourself. Paul

http://www.clpgh.org/

acristickid wrote:
Good deal. Looking forward to reading it.

For those of you in Allegheny Co. the library is great place for fly fishing books. The library system is cool because it connects the local library's with some bigger one like the Carnegie. They will even send a book say in Monroeville to the South Side library for you to pick up.

Do a search and see for yourself. Paul

http://www.clpgh.org/

Public libraries all over are a great resource for obscure flyfishing books. They have an inter-library system, so they can find some rather obscure books. I live in central PA, and my local library got me a book about fishing for brookies in West Virginia "back in the day" and similar book about old brookie days in the Adirondacks.

Both these books came from out of state libraries. No charge!

Of course this is true not only on flyfishing topics, but just about any subject that interests you.

BTW, don't expect Limestone Legends to be a techniques books on how to catch more fish. There's plenty of that around. This is more about the history of the streams and fishing in the Cumberland Valley.

Back