Great Values On Used Books At Amazon

jdaddy

jdaddy

This is just a reminder/heads up to always check Amazon.com for used copies of books you may want. There are some great values out there from used book vendors selling through Amazon. Usually Amazon has the best prices on new books, particularly if you have an Amazon Prime membership which gives free 2nd day UPS shipping, however the used book vendors have very low prices and charge $3.99 shipping (which is high considering they send books Media Mail for $1). Browsing around I picked up Hatches II and the Nymph series by Schwibert for pennies on the dollar.

Side note: Check Amazon for about darn near anything. I was able to buy a bunch of used books today for "nothing" since I had gone to the pool store to buy a part for our automatic pool cleaning robot thingy. It was $100 there and they were not sure if it was the problem, nor would they accept returns. I checked on Amazon and it was $40 with free 2nd day shipping (Prime) and no questions asked returns and no tax. This gave me a bunch of money to buy used books with in my twisted mind. Amazon has GREAT value on power tools. Amazon has a dynamic pricing structure, so check back on prices from time to time. As sales of an item go up, the price will tick upward, likewise when sales of an item slow the price will go down. It's a pretty awesome automated pricing engine and certainly helps their profitability. Sometimes the make "too low to be believed" pricing on items. If they are sold by Amazon and can be ordered with overnight delivery, then you will get the item fulfilled. Not only do you get quicker shipping from Prime, they also have to place your order at the top of the heap in order to fulfill the time requirement, so if they adjust a price "too low" your order will be filled and shipped prior to the price being adjusted and your order canceled. Watch out for deals on Amazon Prime membership. Example, around Christmas they had a deal where you buy $100 gift certificate for "toys" and you got free Prime. The Amazon certificate was good for anything, not just toys. They run promos like that often.

jdaddy wrote:
This is just a reminder/heads up to always check Amazon.com for used copies of books you may want. There are some great values out there from used book vendors selling through Amazon. Usually Amazon has the best prices on new books, particularly if you have an Amazon Prime membership which gives free 2nd day UPS shipping, however the used book vendors have very low prices and charge $3.99 shipping (which is high considering they send books Media Mail for $1).

Media mail rates are found here:
http://www.usps.com/prices/media-mail-prices.htm

The very lowest rate, for less than 1 lb, is $2.38. For large books like Nymphs, including the packaging, the weight including packaging will probably be around 4 lbs.

You are correct troutbert. USPS has really raised their prices in the last few years. I have had many experiences selling on ebay where UPS was less expensive than USPS, especially considering UPS is giving tracking and $100 insurance included in their costs. Also, packaging material, boxes, etc do have a cost to them. Guess I should not complain, I am just spoiled with Amazon Prime shipping.

Books are starting to roll in. It's like Christmas in September.

How much was the kick back for writing that review of Amazon?

:p :p

How did you do that? I didn't know you could read and write! What are you doing in the literary section of this site?

Well, JD, you cost me a few bucks, too! Though I was devastated when I discovered that the late ES had sold out to the evil empire, I was curious about his newer nymphing books, but not @ 60 bucks apiece. However, at less than 30 dollars total for the two, I bit the bullet and sent for them and a book that is supposed to be very basic by Eric Stroup (got it for about half price), with whom I argued about k/t on another site. Anyhow, I also got the first of these books. I really have nowhere to stash them in my fly-tying room, which is already packed with books, etc., and my wife of 35 years won't even give me even a corner for any of these books anywhere in the rest of her house! But, I couldn't help myself -- just as I can't help myself anytime when I see what I think might be another good ff book.

a book that is supposed to be very basic by Eric Stroup

If it's the Common Sense book it's pretty good. Most will pick up a few pointers.

Back