Fly Fishing Guide to Upper Delaware River

jerseygeorge

jerseygeorge

I just picked up the "Fly Fishing Guide to Upper Delaware River". This is written by Paul Weamer, and published by Stackpole Books. Price on Amazon is under $20.

This is probably the best "how to destination book" that I have ever read. The Delaware is very complex, and as Paul says intimidating. With water issues, hatches, access, politics, time of year, flows, temps, this river can be a difficult one to attempt.

Having fished the Upper Delaware for about 10 years, but by no means an expert, Paul has nailed the river system in this book.

If someone is interested in trying out this fishery for the cost of this book there is little you would ever want to know about this fishery that he has not covered.

Paul discusses how the fishery was created. Breaks down the west branch, east branch and main stem seperately. He has the type of detailed access information that will **** off lots of regulars (but now I know how a guy sneaked down river to reach big trout right across from me last year!). Every access is detailed down to gps coordinates.

The hatchs, the flies, and of course the big fish are all described.

This book belongs in your library. It is a winner.

JG

TODO:

Get this book.

Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to fish that area for a long time now, but refuse to pay for a guide this close to home. Hopefully this will get me started.

I've never fished the upper Delaware for trout but found the book wetting my appetite for a trip. Good to hear from someone with experience that the book is accurate. I also picked up a book on NJ fly trout streams. Thought maybe I'd spend a couple days up there between smaller NJ streams and the Delaware.

Hi........
Flying fish is ordinarily done in an erect position. There is nobody can stop that awesome first run into the backing. Thanks for the site.

=====================

Delaware Treatment Centers

Jersey G is right about the book, it will shorten the learning curve for anyone wanting to fish the D. I've been fishing the River for a lot of years, and the book offers much valuable info even to an experienced angler. I too would recommend it to anyone wanting to fish the D.

I have this book as well and I agree with everyone else. I have fished the D several times before, but this book helped me to locate river access areas that I was not aware of. A must have in my opinion if you plan to fish there.

I was in Borders the other day and picked up a copy of this book to look through. It is as good as everyone above says. Unfortunately, it thoroughly describes some of my favorite access points!

Back