A Passion for Angling--Episode 5, In Search of Salmon

DGC

DGC

This is a BBC production. It benefits from those resources. Right away you see the advantages: Shot on film by expensive cameras. Brilliant cinematography. Subtle, clever scripting within a "reality" genre.

As an example, note the white owl hovering over the field in close detail via telephoto, and then the camera pulls in to a fisherman casting a grey duster to what later appears to be a stocker brown from an un-named spring creek in the southern UK.. Just a superb transition.

Then it is off to the Tweed for salmon, and then the Spey.

Along the way, we see plenty of wildlife, stunning scenery, and a couple of fantastic dogs, one of whom retrieves fish. The latter may seem too rough on the fish to some, so be warned.

This is not a film by which you hone your tactical skills. I found myself wondering why no mends were thrown on a couple of presentations, among other quibbles--but these are slight and frankly beside the point for this film.

There are many ways to waste 50 minutes. This is as good or better than most.

Note: To watch you have to download the Veoh web player. This will load every time you start your pc, until you tell the OS to stop doing that or uninstall it.

The music is much to my liking. Dvorakian in character, with a touch of longing.

To watch free, go here:

A Passion for Angling--In Search of Salmon

There is also a mechanism to download the episode on that same page, again via a feature in the Veoh web player.

Back