Your approach to a day of FF?

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
There are quite a few beginners on the board and I thought I post a little on how I approach a day on the stream. I would be very interested to read about how others on the board the approach a day of FF.

The success or failure of a day on the stream (although no day on the stream is really a failure…unless you drown I guess) often is determined before you even leave home. I check flows and temps on the USGS; conditions can differ in certain areas and streams. For example, if the water is high or low, perhaps a more stable stream like a limestoner would be a better choice. I also check the weather and find out the temperature high and low, cloud cover or sun, and rainfall info. I include all this info to make my decision on where to fish.

In addition, If I’m planning to fish an ATW, I will check of the PFBC site for stocking info. Actually, I’m not really a white truck chaser, quite the opposite, I try to avoid freshly stocked fish because I hate the crowds it attracts, and I really don’t like fishing for freshly stocked fish, but that’s just me. Some even may use the Internet to find some hotspots. (Believe it or not!). IMO, posting a good report about a certain stream does attract anglers especially in the short term. Again, I often do the opposite, if the word is out on hot fishing on a certain stream, I’ll often try to guess where the least amount of pressure is, and choose accordingly. Hatch info on the Internet is useful though. Even if the reports are from a different stream, I can “interpolate” and guess what’s hatching on some streams I know.

Once I pick where I want to fish, if it’s not an all-day trip, my next decision, is when to fish; morning, afternoon, evening? As a general rule, in the winter the warmest time of day (afternoon) is usually the best, and in the summer the coolest (early am or pm) is usually best. Also I think about the hatches, for example with Hendrickson’s, I want to be on the stream mid-morning to early afternoon, but if sulphurs are hatching, I would plan a late-afternoon/evening trip, etc.

Okay you make your decision on the stream to fish based on flow, temp, weather, hatches, etc. and you’re there. Now what? I usually cruise around the stream in my truck a bit to check out the different parking areas and sections to evaluate stream conditions, fishing pressure, rising fish, etc., and I pick a spot based on what I’ve found.

It’s best to go to the stream bank before you rig up and decide what would be best to start with. Of course, if there’s rising fish, I would try to determine what insect is rising and how/where are the fish taking it. Ideally I would capture an insect first. If I can’t capture one, I’ll at least try to ID the type of insect (mayfly, caddis, stone, midge) and estimate the size and color. Often I will tie on a dry with an emerger, pupa or unweighted nymph on a dropper to see what they are taking. I will continue to try to capture an insect with my little insect net while I’m fishing. I will change flies and presentations until I hit it right.

In non-hatch situations you must “prospect” to find the fish. Some FFers start with streamers first to find fish. It is a good way to locate fish, but since it’s my least favorite type of fishing, I will nymph first in non-hatch situations. I usually will try two or three nymphs or a nymph(s) and a wet. I most often will tie on a weighted generic nymph like a HE or a PT along with a nymph that matches what should be hatching in the stream. I will usually stick with the generic pattern and change off the other fly or flies until I find the fly combo that works.

Also, it is important to fish in different types of water to try to hone in on where the fish are, or at least where the feeding fish are located. I will probe the riffs, runs, tails and heads of pools, deep pools. I use all types of nymphing methods depending on the water: euro, high-sticking, indies, etc. If I begin to catch fish in a certain water-type, seek out similar spots and concentrate on them. If fish begin rising, I will go to my hatch-matching mode as described earlier.

If nothing is happening after fishing through all types of water with nymphs, I may switch over the streamer tactics and cover a lot of water to find fish. As mentioned earlier, it’s a great way to locate fish. Also, there are times where dries work well even when nothing is rising. A dry dropper is a deadly combo especially in low flows. In addition, small brook trout streams are one of the few places where I will start the day (and usually end the day) using dries to prospect.

Sometimes fish are feeding, but not on the surface. Signs of this are fish flashing or see fish holding and feeding in mid depth areas. In this case I will try a wet flies or emergers and drift, swing or retrieve it to get some strikes.

In a nutshell, fish all types of water, at all depths (including on top) with different types of flies and presentations until you begin catching fish. Just remember there are no magic flies or techniques, and often many will work.

Not long ago I fished the Breeches. As usual, there were quite a few anglers on the stream. I worked my way downstream and caught fish regularly using a nymph rig. A guy working behind me was catching fish stripping a bugger, and the guy below me was catching fish on midges. Some days a lot of things work, while other days, nothing seems to work. I keep trying different stuff in different spots until I either catch fish, it’s too dark to see, or my wife calls to find out where the heck I’m at!

It depends if I have a destination.

I try to choose my destination based on what I am feeling like fishing. Sometimes I also decide to explore for new waters, but my techniques there are part personal little tricks I've learned (and am willing to share over a beer or a stream).

For a known stream, I start like afish and check the USGS. I also check any reports for that stream to see hatch and temp info, but don't really put too much stock in those reports.

I also try to hit a local fly shop or talk to a local fisherman to get a better idea of what to expect.

When I arrive, I look at the water and decide how I want to fish. This is almost always a choice thing, because I believe there are many ways to skin a cat. I usually default to streamers or nymphs because I enjoy it, but occasionally choose dries if I'm feeling up to it.

I do many of the same things as you. Unless it's at a local ATW for an hour or 2, usually my fishing is planned out a few days in advance, so I take what I can get. If I'm close to a fly shop I will call and ask about hatch conditions, I also check the guages and the weather forcast. I'm now to the point where I know of a few hatches and plan to fish them, but most fishing is done just when I get the time to go out. I usually start with nymphing, and will tie on a dry when I see a rising fish if no hatch is evident.

Usually each time I fish I try something new. Whether it's a new technique, new spot, or new fly, I try to always mix things up and expand my fishing. If you don't plan on trying something new, you will fall into routine and not always adapt.

All of the time though, I just go out to enjoy myself and catching fish is just a bonus. If I'm mad after a days worth of fishing I did something wrong. Sometimes you get the fish, and sometimes the fish get you, but it should all be fun in the end.

Ryan

I'm pretty much the same. Except that I'm always looking for risers.
And usually my biggest decision of the day, is if I don't find any when I first get to the stream. I have to decide how long to stick around to see if they start, or move to another area or stream.

When I decide, I grab my stuff and throw it in the back of my blazer.
I grab some music and double check I have all of my gear (rod, reel, line...waders, boots...downs)

I usually know where I'm going, or figure it out while packing.

when I get to a parking area I hook up my rod first, then waders and boots. I don't want to get hot while tampering with my rod and flies.

I usually tie on a size 12 bhfb PT and, pending the time of the year, something more hatch specific (caddis, mayfly or midge). (Let's face it, you should have and idea of what's hatching or active before you pack up; and besides I'm guessing it doesn't change the flies that most people put on anyway)

Then I walk in and observe -- always from the water as to let the fish settle. nothing like spooking the fish, waiting for them to settle and then walking in the water just to spook them again.

When I get home, I usually tie something for the next day based off this day.

my fishing tactics pretty much the same , water temps , air temps , time of day etc. for me certain streams call for different tactics , hard to nymph (for me anyway ) a small brookie stream , high muddy water doesn't constitue a BWO emerger , right now this time of year i pretty much stay with streamers and pretty much one streamer , it always catches fishes and usually in high numbers but sometimes its not a numbers game either , its about peace and quiet. its probably a good thing we don't all fish the same or you would have 20 people spread out along the creek all stripping olive buggers or whatever .

There are different types of trips for me:

Just want to get out trip: Probably go down to the Tully or Wyommmissing Creek after work, or on a weekend. Typically time is short and I don't do much planning, I just go fish. I might pick location by expected crowd, though. I play it by ear once I'm on the stream.

The planned trip: I have planned well ahead of time to hit a specific stream or hatch. I may, for instance, want to meet the BWO's on Spring Creek, or catch a fresh steelhead run just as the tribs become fishable. I'll try to be one of the first to hit the event, before the masses know about it. I'll refer to old notes, watch for reports, maybe call a fly shop, watch the weather reports, look at stream gauges, etc. When the time seems right I'll pull the trigger and make the drive. Specific location is usually governed by experience or local info, as well as day of observations like where the cars are. I usually purposely arrive early and fish until things get right. If conditions don't turn out how I planned, I can usually at least get a few.

The brookie trip: Unless things are at flood stage or ultra low and clear, I don't worry about stream conditions, and I've never even considered a "hatch". I do pour over maps, PFBC lists, even property records to find accessible streams, and then devise a plan for parking areas, avoiding posted stretches, etc. I make sure I have budgeted enough time for the adventure at hand, if I don't have enough I'll choose a shorter adventure. And I tell someone where I'm going, grab a camera and go!

My tactics are close to the ones stated above. I scope the area the day before with google maps. Sometimes, with lookin at the stream or river with a birds eye view i get some way points I would like to throw the dice at. I also put my gear together in front of the door and run the checklist threw my head over and over.
Then there is the question of grab a hoagie or pack a lunch. LoL.. I will then go to the area and view the target area. The streams and rivers are not always as you see them on google.
If no hatching is occuring, i'm a bugger guy. Then work my way to generic Nymphs. Depending on certain variables (clarity,sun,temp etc.) I will give a shot at Drys. Adams is a good (IMO) all around Pattern, elk wing caddis, humpy, Royal whulff also. That is i don't see any bugs. After all the above i usually break for lunch, if thing are slow.
Oh, i work my way up stream while fishing to approach the targets from the rear. If i locate fish i then attempt to flank them, if possible, to get a better casting angle at them.
While dinning creek side i restructure the attack if needed. Also, i pay attenting to what is trying to get a bite of my Salami.
After lunch, if no one is around, i my nap on the ground next to the creek.
But if the moment grabs me my favorite method is spot and stock. It takes the utmost patients to do so.
I find a high spot off the creek. Where my shadow will not end up in the creek if the sun is a factor. Weather it be a Rock, bridge, i have been caught climbing trees also, to get a birds eye view and prospect the area. Looking for a flash is the easiest give away. The other i look for is there shadows. Once the spoting is dun and the prey is located i then locate an area to attack from(cast). (And now the fun part) I then approch the area with the slightest movement. Have you ever watched a heron move in the water ? Mimic it.

At this point i have the confidace that i know there are fish there. Now catching them is up to the FFisher.

Afish can I have the five minutes of my life back that it took me to read this ?

Just Kidding good stuff you realy broke it down on this one .
But I have yet to see you swinging a net in the air trying to catch flies .

I choose a location for Plan A, B & C. If all are viable based upon internet information of weather and stream flows, I'll go with Plan A.

My first step is to make sure my vest is loaded with the right flies. Next, I get dressed. I used to take all my gear to the trunk, then return to the house to fill a cooler with beer. However, this one time, I left without bringing the beer, so now I pack the beer in the car before taking my equipment up. This way, I hope to never forget the beer again. :cool:

Weather and stream flows for starts. usgs is a great tool. I also use several on-line weather predictors.. Air temps are a big deal in early Spring...Hatches are important, certain streams, differents bugs, different times, this is when the process begins to resemble alchemy...Oh, I also prefer to fish during the week, avoiding weekends as much as possible...

wake up, drink coffee, eat breakfast, more coffee, drive to creek, fish. after fishing, drink a beer.
anything more than that and I'll get confused and really screw up my day.

I do a lot of the things already mentioned, although I've never called a fly shop and I don't really care about running into bugs that much, although I'm certainly not against it.

Probably the 2 things that most define my process are my aversion to other anglers and my need to have a lot of options to fit my jumpy nature on the water.

To that end, if it is sulfur time, for example on Kettle or some such place, I'll almost always opt to fish alone over smaller fish and fewer bugs (so long as there are enough to move fish) on a trib than to fish where I can see 3 or 4 other guys.

The options thing is even more impt. to me. I seldom plan to go fish a specific stream, but rather plan to fish the streams in a given watershed or area or multiple disparate locations on the same stream. The proximity of other waters is often a major deciding factor for me when I plan a trip, even a single day trip. If I'm fishing from cain't see to cain't see in June during the maximum light periods, I routinely will fish 5 or 6 different streams or stream sections that require driving in a single day. I break the day up into 3 hour (or so..) sessions and then just go batsh-t all day running back and forth and hither and yon. If I'm in Potter County for example, with a tent pitched at Cherry Springs, I may fish Cross Fork, Young Womans, Lyman, Phoenix, the WB of Pine and the upper end of the Prouty Branch all in a single day, 2.5 to 3 hours at a pop. I don't take breaks during mid day, even if it's hot. That's wasted fishing time.

Not that many people like to fish with me, and I fully realize there's some sort of pathology going on, but that's how I do it...:)

One more thing for the stockies i have a special pattern......... i Never named it but, i tie an egg pattern in brown to mimic the hatchery pellets they get feed everyday as they are raised in there concrete box.
I use logic and reason more than most.

bikerfish wrote:
wake up, drink coffee, eat breakfast, more coffee, drive to creek, fish. after fishing, drink a beer.

biker,

There must be a lot of peeing in between there somewhere :lol:

Fredrick,

I have a small telescoping net that I use for catching bugs on/in the water.

if its a beautiful spring day and lots of bugs hatching.

the first thing i do -- is call in sick :hammer:

I'm with bikerfish...I basically just wake up and go fishing.

I normally don't worry too much about weather/flows/hatches etc. because I have a wife who is laid off and stays home with my 3 year old and black lab pup. So when I am actually away from work, the family is very needy of me. Which has its ups and downs. I figure if I can get out of the house, I really don't need to know specifics of any body of water other than the fact that there is actually water...and the slight possibility of fish present. The only problem I have found with this is the fact that I rarely stray away from my few mainstay fisheries. I know there is fish where I go and finding new water needs a little bit more planning. But I am OK with the few places I frequent because personally, I think the world of these places and will never grow tired of fishing for the wild trout that hide there. These places are the Limestoners of SCPA. They are my second home.

with me ill check the weather in a certain area if its good my gear is usually in my jeep i just get up go eat on the way if its new water ill walk up and down stream a way looking for fish , rises and insects and if theres no hatch ill go into a riffle flip rocks and dig around tie on a nymph and or a dry sometimes both sometimes i just try to match with generic flies to size shape and color but most streams ill start witha small green weenie and a he or pt and in the summer its ants and foam beetles

a-fish
i think biker pees in the crick

From a tactical standpoint, I am very similar to the first 3 or 4 paragraphs afishinado mentions as well as much of what everyone else has mentioned. As someone with average presentation skills and less than average vision, this pre-fishing scouting is critical to my "success."

However, on my best days, I have also taken readings of my own mood and attitude. Sometimes I am really tuned in to nature, and this is when I really look forward to going out. I recognize my great fortune for being healthy and alive, how lucky I am to have nature and running water available to me to explore without having to worry about the next meal or paying the next house payment. Times like this allow me to revel in nature and my good fortune in my short time on earth. While it's always better if the fishing is good, on these days just walking in and walking out can be nothing short of mesmerizing in themselves.

But other times, I'm interested in going out, but some issue is nagging at me, or I am in a foul mood about something, even if this nagging or foulness is not in the forefront of my mind. For example, I may be making the sandwich and coffee, getting together the tackle and maps, plotting the strategy, but in the background, even if I am not actually thinking about it at the time, some negativity is trying to creep in. If I can catch this, my day can blossom--If not, there is a good chance it will be frustrating one way or another. Negativity, no matter how vague, is no way to go out and fish, and recognizing the presence of these and other latent, vaguely conscious sour moods and attitudes, and trying to get in touch with them, helps to counter them so as not to let them take over my fishing behind my back. I might even glean something important if something I experience at the stream brings forth a realization or understanding or connection that eluded me before. That can be very special.

This is not to deny the gratification of simply fishing well on a tough stream. If you go to Penns, ply your strategy, adjust in the face of what you find, and catch some nice wild Penns browns, that is really special. But I find that tactical preparation is only part of the strategy, and maybe not even the most important part once you have a few years under your belt. I guess this is an example of "Fly Fisher, Know Thyself."

What I have mentioned is based mainly on fishing alone, but I am not so sure it wouldn't be just as relevant, if not more so, if I added family or friends into the mix.

DGC, thanks for expounding the therapeutic aspect of a day on the stream. Most of us were approaching the question from physical/tangible preparations, whereas, like you, a lot of us go through the state of mind preparations as well.

Catching a lot of fish is fun sometimes and not really satisfying other times and getting skunked can ruin my mood for the week, whereas other times, leave me just as refreshed as my best days on the water.

I had a magical couple hours on Penns once and it was as mystical I have been since my conversion in the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul, Philadelphia.

Back