Who was the first ?

Bruno

Bruno

Other than Dave - Who was the first poster on the site ? Now that Tom and Jay hit 10000. Who was it, are they still here ?

Someone posted screen grabs of the the old format "list" page. Might be a clue there.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3019&forum=2&post_id=26535#forumpost26535

They are still here because they get away with everything

I agree littlej.

I was here pretty much from the begining, although I didn't post much, mostly just lurked. I had never used a pc before, my Son found me this site. I didn't know how to type or anything(still don't know much), so I just watched. I can remember some of the people that were here then.

PaulG

littlejuniata wrote:

This includes you too, doesn't it? When I first signed on to the old board, you were there. Under a different name of course. That was back when you could be whomever you want every time you posted. I was Jack M, but on occasion, I could have been "Marcus Welby," "Monty Hall," "Tara Reid," or anyone I wanted to be, even "Maurice."

Bruno wrote:
Other than Dave - Who was the first poster on the site ? Now that Tom and Jay hit 10000. Who was it, are they still here ?

I know it wasn't Jay, he was still in diapers then, but I guess wouldn't rule him out altogether since he could have been a child prodigy on the computer.... :)

sandfly wrote:
I agree littlej.

Your shop has gotten its last recommendation from me. I'd go as far as to advise against it, since you're going to snipe for no reason. Will that make a difference? Who knows.

Shame, I was going to head that way for the drakes and try to cast that rod we talked about a while back.

Hey Jack, if you can become Tara Reid I definantly want to look into getting a cabin together for the next jam.

:-D

I remember that other board. Wasn't there a hardware enthusiast that used to pop up and harrass everybody?:-?

jayL wrote:
sandfly wrote:
I agree littlej.

Your shop has gotten its last recommendation from me. I'd go as far as to advise against it, since you're going to snipe for no reason. Will that make a difference? Who knows.

Shame, I was going to head that way for the drakes and try to cast that rod we talked about a while back.

Why the hostility?

Well, I was on the old board, but I thought it was before 97, Because it was just after I got a computer I think. Bob Petri was there, Jeff F and Paul, were there. Jeff K joined a while back, but I don't think it's the same Jeff K here now. Dave K, Dwight Charlie Meck even posted once in a while.
Just when did the board start Dave K? Didn't Dave invent the internet? :)

jayL wrote:
sandfly wrote:
I agree littlej.

It's a real shame when things have to come to this! I'm new around here, but I've been around long enough and seen/read enough to know that there's the "always gotta be right" mentality that is so prevelent here. Actually, it didn't take very long at all to see this (like most sites).

It's always the back and forth between this guy and the other guy because they see things a different way. Often, guys going waaay out of their way to proove themselves right. Usually the same ones! Also, some of the grudges I see around here remind me of my school days. Seriously.

We are all on here because we share the same common interest. Sometimes reading these posts, you would never know it. The real shame is the space and time that is wasted because of this. When some of you folks get some "simpleness" from another member, why not just "consider the source" and drop it? We need to work together, not against one another, to keep fishing (the way we know it) from becoming a thing of the past!

Chaz: Yeah, I was around fairly early on, but I'm not sure exactly when I started. I got my first internet connection through AOL in the summer of 1995, but the first time I remember for certain being on the old board was in the summer of 1997 when I moved east to remarry. I may have visited the nascent PAFF earlier, before I moved from the Erie area. I just can't recall for sure. But I clearly remember being around in 07 because I used to visit the board and then go over and watch the guys on ROFF (recreation-outdoors-fly-fishing on Usenet) torture George Gehrke. A lot of them were pretty nasty to him, but on the other hand, George conducted himself like a horse's arse. Somewhere in there, I think George died, but he may have just changed his name and went underground. It was pretty brutal..

I remember some of the guys who are here now from those days.
A couple guys that were frequent visitors back then that I haven't seen hide nor hair of for a long time were Bob Q., who lived in Montclair in that state on the east bank of the Delaware and Grant, umm, Grant... started with a C., I think. Was active in Bucks TU and was a journalist for one of the computer trade magazines, IIRC.

But sure, I remember those times. It was back in the days when men were men and a lot of the women were too...:)

Clouser, He's still around, I fished with him last year for the first time in a while. There were a lot of brawls.

wild trout,
I'm sure Jay was just joking, but he can clarify.

I actually recommended sandfly's shop tonight. :lol:

Perhaps sandfly can clarify, but it looked to me like he was piling on with LJ's constant sniping. If he is, I might choose not to give send any business that way. If not, my mistake. I am sure that once I get fishing a few times to calm the nerves, I will probably reconsider. I'd call it 80% joking, 20% serious.

littlejuniata wrote:

Funny that Dick would say that, he was around here in those days, plus I think he gets away with more then anyone here :)

Dick, I've been trying to remember what your handle was back then....help me out!

PaulG

Do any of you remember Stan (Jim Stangroom (sp?))?

I often wonder what happend with him.

Dave

You remined me of Stan, he was a funny guy. I remember the first time I saw him at a Jam(first one I think). He looked so much different then I pictured him...funny guy!

What I remember about him was. He was a truck driver and always talked about picking up road kill for his tying!

PaulG

Back