What Flies ?

G

greenhead

Went to purchase some dries that you guys reccomended and was also going to order some nymphs but didn't know what sizes. What sizes are good for trout. Right now all of my nymphs are sz 14. What size sucker spawns should I buy ? Dries ? Nymphs ? Sorry if im being a pain. Im new to the sport.

Sometimes describing flies by hook size can be misleading. In some cases it's more accurate to describe flies by their size. In the case of nymphs, you've got 14s which are a good all around size. I'd get a few bigger ones and smaller too. Some stoneflies would be good - they're large, typically about an inch long (size 8-12?). These are good just about everywhere, esp out West, where you have medium to large freestone rivers. Smaller nymphs, like the Hare's Ear or Copper John would be good to have in sizes of about one quarter to one half inch, not counting the tail. This would probably mean hooks from #20 to about #16. Some scuds or cress bugs in this size would also be good for spring creeks - have 'em in olive or grey. For sucker spawn: it comes in many colors, I like pink and orange - the "clump" is about a quarter inch in diameter - about the size of a pea, a bit bigger would not hurt.

That's kind of hard to answer because it depends on the flys, and sometimes on the time of year. But I'll take a stab at it.

For nymphs, in general, I'd go #12-14, although you could really have almost any size, depending on the bugs that are active. You may also want to have some smaller BHPTs, maybe #18s. Sucker spawn normally would be about #14-16. Dry flys definitely depend on the kind of fly. BWOs are #18-20 at some times of the year (usually early and late in the season), but they can also be #14-16 at other times, depending on the stream. Sulfurs are often #16, but some are #18s. Caddis are often #14-16, but I would also have some #18s too. Attractors can be any size you want, with #16 being the mid-size. Parachute Adams are good in the mid-sizes, but small ones can be good at times too, like #18-20. Ants are good around #16, but sometimes smaller ones are good for slow water and picky trout.

Let us know if you have any other particular patterns that you want to know about. You can also check hatch charts. Here's a generic one for PA..... PA Hatch Chart

Let me reccomend 3 three things.

1) First, a book:

http://tinyurl.com/23pa4x

A lot of hatch books are overwhelming with their detail. This is not. It covers the basics with pictures of almost every insect discussed. It shows the associated nymphs with each dry and has some simple fly charts. It is easily put in your pocket to consult streamside. Don't just jump in the river and fish. Watch to see when the bugs are hatching, turn over some rocks, and watch the fish feeding....learn by observation.

2) Stop by your local shop and ask what would be the half dozen essential flies for this time of year. Do this throughout the year and you'll soon have a good idea of what to expect next year.

3) Don't sweat matching the hatch exactly. There are a lot of generic stimulator/nymph patterns.

Here is my "bare bones" box full of these "generic" flies:

Adams size 12-18 for dark mayflies
Ausable Wulff size 10-16 for light colored mayflies
Elk Hair Caddis size 12-16 for caddisflies
Ants size 14-16
Pheasant Tail nymph size 12-16, generic nymph
Hare's Ear Nymph size 12-16, generic nymph
Prince Nymph size 12-16, genric nymph
Wooly Bugger size 8
Muddler or Clouser Minnow size 8

This will get you fish if fish are biting 90% of the time on 90% of eastern waters.

I realize this approach is realatively unsophiticated. I don't tie my own flies yet and my ability to match hatches is, well, still evolving...

fourth...keep your links short so your posts are readable without scrolling wayyyy right. I suggest using this site: http://tinyurl.com/u or the tool in the reply form...Especially when you take the time to post good information, as you have done...

Thanks, Tom.

Post edited. I always wondered how people did that.

Ahhhhh...jack or someone has an explanation on how to make your own links in th reply form...I think its posted under site issues..if someone remembers where I read it let OO know. I found it very easy to use once once I knew it was there.

Ignore the quotation mark in what follows:

Begin the link with the expression "[url ="
Then type or paste the full url of the link,
Then, close that expression with "]"
Without spaces, type in a short name for the link, such as "Link To Article"
Then without spaces, close with "[/url]"

Example: "[url =http://www.rollingstone.com]Rolling Stone[/url]"

The space I had to add btween "url" and the "=" signs above are not used, but without them, I couldn't show you what I needed because it converted the expressions to links.

Or, just to the right of where the word "Message:" appears, there is a button that looks like a link in a chain. Touch this and it will walk you through a process that renders the same expression.

You can find the trout stream book for a little less here:Amazon

While I would ordinarily suggest that you talk to a local tier, this would be a cheap way to start filling your fly box with some go-to patterns.

20 flies for 10 bucks.

Back