Time to ask yourself....What type of fly fisher am I?

P

PennypackFlyer

Before you go out this season here are some thoughts to ponder:

Am I willing to help protect the environment?

Would I hand my rod and reel, hooked fish over to:
A young child
A pretty lady
another fisherman
all of whom are complete strangers - just to bring them some happiness?

Am I willing to put my life at risk to save another fisherperson?

Am I willing to share a sweet fishing spot?

Am I willing to wait for others to move from my sweet fishing spot - before I start fishing it?

When I lose a hooked fish - do I have to swear?

Am I willing to set a time that if I have not caught anything it's time to go?

Am I willing to provide correct information to a stranger just to help them be successful with their fishing?

Competitive loch style, obviously.

I usually fished in the middle of the night so if I saw someone else
it was time to find another spot.

Yes, definitely, so long as it's something reasonably in my power to do.

A young child
A pretty lady
another fisherman

A young child - definitely
A pretty lady - not on your life (my wife might take issue with such a thing)
another fisherman - depends

Always

I'm guilty of this quite often, to my own detriment sometimes, unfortunately

Am I willing to wait for others to move from my sweet fishing spot - before I start fishing it?

Depends on whether there are other nice spots nearby. If there are other spots, I'd move on. If not, then I'd wait or ask to join in or share the spot.

No, I don't have to, but sometimes these things slip out.

My wife usually sets a time that I have to go... and I usually fish at least until that time is up. If they're biting, I find it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

PennypackFlyer wrote:

Yes

A young child
A pretty lady
another fisherman
yes

yes, couldn't just walk away

Yes

yes

nope, dang it!

No, I have incurable one more castitis

Am I willing to provide correct information to a stranger just to help them be successful with their fishing?
yes

Did I pass the interview?

gfen wrote:
Competitive loch style, obviously.

Hahaha!

Interesting questions though.

Anyone else feel like standing in a circle and holding hands

Yes, but I need to be reminded to stay vigilant sometimes.

Would I hand my rod and reel, hooked fish over to.

Young child? Yes. Pretty lady? No. Unless she was a beginner, and then it doesn't matter her gender or level of attractiveness.

Yeah.

Yeah.

Umm, yeah, I have to be like a hundred yards from the nearest fisherman to feel comfortable, regardless of crowd level. I struggle to adjust to more crowded conditions. But if I get my sweet fishing spot fair and square, I'll protect it with my life, lol. I guess I expect others to have the same unreasonable standards as I do, and in crowded waters, am always looking over my shoulder, trying to head off the advance of others, etc.

Yes.

Set it? Sure. Abide by it? No.

Not only willing, but eager to do so.

PennypackFlyer wrote:

I already work very hard for conserving my home waters, do you?

A young child
A pretty lady
another fisherman
IT doesn't always provide happiness for people who don't fish, some would be repelled by the idea of a fish struggling at the end of the line with a sharp object in the fishes mouth. So not necessarily.

Am I willing to put my life at risk to save another fisher person?
Yes, but it's never happened.

Yes, but with conditions.

Am I willing to wait for others to move from my sweet fishing spot - before I start fishing it? No, I'll just go somewhere else, it's not right to put that pressure on someone else just because a spot is a favorite of mine.

Yes!

Always do, but usually it's because I won't waste time on a stream that's not producing fish on any given day, there is always another stream nearby.

Yes I'm always willing to help people find a place to fish. There are no secret streams and I view people that won't help others find places to fish as self centered and self absorbed. Shame on you if you don't share stream information. On the other hand I stopped sharing information on a public message board because people on the board view sharing stream information as spot burning. There are no secret places, just selfish people.
I would ask the final question, before you go out this year are you willing to spend one day on a local stream doing much needed stream improvement work that doesn't include picking up trash?

Chaz:
Yes I'm willing (answer to your question at the bottom), let's do it.

i'm not a fly fisher, i'm a fly rodder.

I am the type of fly fisher I want to be. The only other thing I'll be pondering when this crappy weather finally breaks is where am I going fishing?

Old and still evolving. GG

I pretty much mirror Chaz's answers, except that I do believe there are still some secret spots. Would I share some spots? Only with very stringent conditions, as he suggests. However, there are some spots that I would not even tell God about, hoping that He forgot about them. Yep, I am, as Chaz says, selfish about some of these, especially ones where the trout are vulnerable to overfishing.

And, boy do I swear when I lose a nice fish -- thankful when there is no one around to hear me. "Darn it" just doesn't cut it, even though I'm going to release the fish anyway. I guess I want to "count coup."

I would, however, be too afraid to share a rod with a beautiful girl, except my granddaughter; I would not want my wife to find out, though at 64 I'm pretty harmless anymore.

Always.

A young child, A pretty lady, another fisherman; all of whom are complete strangers - just to bring them some happiness?

Probably not.

Maybe, maybe not..depends how risky the risk is.

Depends.

Nope, I just move on to the next.

All the effin' time.

No, unless 'until it's too dark to see' counts.

Depends, is it a nice person or a total douche?

I think this was phrased as a rhetorical question, but I could be wrong . . .

Actually its time for me to ask the OP why I even need to ask myself all of these questions?

Ryan, I won't fish with you if you don't!

As gallant as it would be, the first thing any first responder or lifeguard is taught is NOT to endanger themselves to save the life of another.

I answer yes to most of these questions. I would do anything I could for a fellow angler who was in distress except put myself in danger.
I would have to put me family first. Oh and yes I do swear when I loose a fish. But I just think that makes me human.

GC

Back